Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Passin' a Kidney Stone for Memorial Day
Or...The Dragon is hallucinating what the companion parrots want

For Pete's sake. While on sea turtle patrol for Turtle Time this morning, I started to feel quite uncomfortable. That increased on my return trip home, which takes approximately 30 minutes. My friend Joe had gone with me and watched my spiral into hell with concern, offering more than once over the next couple of hours to take me to the hospital. I vomitted a few times from the pain and, while writhing, moaning and crying (I have no shame) at about 10 a.m., agreed that a trip to the emergency room was in order.

They did a CT scan to find a 3- to 4-mm stone had departed my right kidney to begin its arduous journey "out." Eegads. They gave me precious and lovely Dilaudid, which made me a touch loopy and took the edge off the pain for about 10 to 15 minutes. Next they gave me Toradol, which was fabulous. Before sending me home, they gave me a couple Vicodin and a script for Vicodin to keep me from dying while this baby runs its course.

I'm drinking a lot of water. My companion parrots were extremely concerned when Joe helped their mom limping and sobbing out of the apartment. Now they're keeping an eye on me while I hallucinate people are bringing us Triscuit crackers. Should my medically induced hallucinations be what my sun conure and African grey would want? Am I channeling their thoughts? I'm sure they'd be thrilled to know that I'm putting Triscuits on next week's grocery list, because I'm an eternal optimist and I'm sure I'll survive this thing. ;)

By the way, the African grey still goes unnamed at this time. I'm leaning toward Mouse or Charlotte right now, although Pebbles strikes my fancy, too. I would put together a poll for people to vote, but I have an old template here at Blogger and I'm not sure it supports polling...Maybe I'll figure something out before my online book tour starts June 1. After that, my posting will be minimal, for obvious reasons. I'm touring to do some more promotion for Choices Meant for Gods and, on the side, What Choices We Made. My publisher and I would like to get some more audience built while we watch production hiccups mar any semblance of a release date for Choices Meant for Kings. Never fear, though! The second novel in the Choices trilogy is in "editing" at the publisher, so it may not be much longer before I see galleys. How cool is that?

Keep in touch, everybody. If you want quick-n-fast updates on what's happenin' in Fantasy Author Sandy Lender's whirlwind life, do the whole "follow" thing on Twitter. You can also see my more "professional" goings-on at my LinkedIn page. And now I shall stop the medically-induced rambling at you.

"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , /span>

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Sandy, Ouch!That sounds so painful - hope it passes kickly. I'm looking forward to your tour and the release of your new book.

Jane Kennedy Sutton
http://janekennedysutton.blogspot.com/

7:13 PM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

Hi there, Jane.
All done!
I'm also looking forward to the release of the new book...I might have to steal an idea from you and do a "release date contest." Hmmm.
Whaddya think?

Sandy Lender
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

8:05 PM  
OpenID vrleavitt said...

Holy cow that sounds awful!! Good luck and hope you feel better soon!

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Mags said...

Oh Sandy - so sorry to hear that. I've dealt with those twice and they are the worst pain ever! (and yes, I've given birth twice). I hope the Vicodin works for you - I never found it did for me with them. Hope it passes quickly. Gentle ((HUGS)).

7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sandy,(The Contessa)
I am sorry to learn about the kidney stone.
It had to be just what you didn't want and also seemed to be unexpected.
That is scary!
By now I know you have to be feeling better and hopefully passed the nasty monster stone!
I have sent all my good friends your latest eamil about the novels and hope my small contribution helps promote your next novel, "Choices Meant for Kings."
I am sooo looking forward to its' release.
BTW: for what it's worth: I like the name "Pebbles" best for your newly acquired critter.
Of course you could always gfo with the old stand-by, "Polly."
Cheers!
Marilyn Millberry
The Empress
Tulsa, OK

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home