Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, June 06, 2008

Exploring the Pen Name
With Guest Blogger and Writer P.L. Parker

(During the month of June, here at Today the Dragon Wins we explore the use of pseudonyms. Don't forget to participate in the discussion in the comment field to enter the contest for a copy of the eBook version of Choices Meant for Gods. Details were posted June 1.)

A Name to Honor Loved Ones

What’s in a name – or a pen name for that matter? Shakespeare stated the obvious – That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet. (Romeo & Juliet, 1594)

Some writers strive for the outrageous (and often unpronounceable), others for the more commonplace but eye-catching, and still others with a bent toward their writing genre. Then there are those, like me, who choose a name solely to honor special people. For my part, my pen name, “P. L. Parker,” was chosen to honor my parents. “P.L. Parker” is actually my maiden name and signifies the love I have for two people who have stood by me for my entire life, giving support, assistance and unconditional love. In return, it is my way of showing them how proud I am to be a member of the Parker family. I truly thank God for the blessing conveyed on me by being a part of that family. My married name is (sadly enough) “Buker” (pronounced Bûker, not Bucker, Burcher, Bunker, etc.) and “Parker” seemed the least offensive of the two. I have to laugh whenever I receive snail or e-mail addressed to “Pasty Bunker.”

Perhaps in the future, I will, as so many have, change my pen name to reflect a new part of my writing career, but for now, “P. L. Parker” is the moniker under which I’ll write the next great novel.

For more information and to get a glimpse of P.L. Parker's early writing, check her out at www.myspace.com/mrsplparker.

"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."
Tags: , , , , ,

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, nobody wants to know how I came to use Skhye Moncrief as my pseudonym!!! Thanks for sharing. ~Skhye

2:52 PM  
Blogger Margaret Tanner said...

Hi Patsy,
Great article
Regards
Margaret Tanner

4:59 PM  
Blogger Mary Ricksen said...

Mine is easy so I kept it. Now my maiden name Mongiello, that was good to lose. I heard it pronounced every which way, but rarely correctly if ever. Best to you, Mary

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey you guys, thanks for responding.

P.L. Parker

9:00 AM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

Mongiello would be a difficult one to pronounce if you'd never heard it before. What stuns me is the number of people who can't spell "Lender" when I say it to them. Don't you think that would be easy? I've gotten Linder, Lunder, Ledder, Lander. The moron I was married to used to go "uhhhhhhh" before most of what he said, so we ended up on one mailing list as "Alinder".

I finally got in the habit of saying, "Lender. That's L-E-N." Then some folks look at me and say, "yeah?", like they need me to spell the rest.

BIZARRE!

But my friend Linda, who posted the pseudonym article last Wednesday, was telling me there are a lot of folks out there who have a real problem with "listening". The whole spelling and pronunciation thing probably stems from that.

Sandy L.
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home