Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Monday, February 12, 2007

Greatest Songs of the Seventies
Meme me, baby

No mocking me, now, but I’m a member of the Barry Manilow International Fan Club (hey, I love the man) and his PR machine (which works overtime, let me tell you) sent me a message late last week inviting me to vote for my favorite thirteen songs of the two-hundred he’d narrowed down from the canon of seventies tunes he could include on his upcoming covers album. Fantastic! I got to weigh in!

I carefully considered which ones I would ABSOLUTELY DIE to hear Mr. Manilow sing, which ones I thought he could market in 2007/2008, and which ones I thought he’d sound great singing, and came up with the list I’ll post below.

But here’s the meme I’m sending out! List your top five songs of the seventies. Yes, I said seventies. What five songs moved you then to such heights that you can still listen to them now if they come on on the Old Fuddy Duddy Station when you’re in the car? This might be easier after I stir your memory banks with my top thirteen list (in no particular order) that I want Mr. Manilow to perform…

Cecilia
Hooked on a Feeling
I’m Not in Love
Imagine
Lady (hopefully the one by LRB)
Pina Colada Song
Silly Love Songs
You Light Up My Life
You’ve Got a Friend
Take a Chance on Me
She Believes in Me
Maybe I’m Amazed
Everything I Own

And here are the folks I tag to answer the meme challenge!
Michelle (M.B. Weston, author of A Prophecy Forgotten, www.elysianchronicles.com)
Tina Murray (author of A Chance to Say Yes, http://achancetosayyes.blogspot.com)
The Author Mike (author of Jessie Remembers, www.freewebs.com/justsaywhat)
Dorothy Thompson (co-author of The Search for the Million $$$ Ghost, www.overthehillchick.blogspot.com)
Jamieson Wolf (author of Garden City, http://www.jamiesonwolf.blogspot.com)
Thingfish23 (http://tamingoftheband-aid.blogspot.com)

Now, this isn’t to say you visitors can’t participate, too. If you’re just stoppin’ by and this tickles your fancy, there’s a comment link just beneath my tagline about dragons winning the day. And you don’t have to come up with five if you don’t want to. No rules for you to adhere to! You can just list one that’s your favorite… And yes, anything off the ’73 release of Houses of the Holy is fair game! Rock on!


“Some days, you just want the dragon to win.”

Tags: music, Barry Manilow, meme

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Jamieson Wolf said...

That's a fantatic list of songs! WHOOHOO! I love Simon and Garfunkel! This was a way easier meme than the alphabet one I did a while back. LOL

9:16 AM  
Blogger M. B. Weston said...

Cecelia will be on my list, too. The problem is, I was only 4 at the end of the seventies, so my list is going to be rather short and limited to cheesy wedding reception/party/karaoke songs. I've got a longer list of great 90's songs....

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the first time I got up in the middle of the night to stand in line to get tickets for Johnny Carson. Unfortunately, Barry Manilow was the guest that day and all of his fans got there even earlier and I never got in. :) I saw Mr. Carson at another time.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

Cecelia, you're breakin' my heart/you're shakin' my confidence...

You know, that is a catchy little tune.

And, Kathy, if I had been a professional stalker back then, I would have been one of those fans getting in to see Barry on the Johnny Carson show! We could have met! But I didn't become a professional (and skilled) stalker until I became a solid Duran Duran fan in the '80s. Of course, I'm not actually admitting in a public forum to being a stalker. This is totally tongue-in-cheek. The number of times I've met the members of Duran Duran is mere coincedence, you see. ;)

(and I'm harmless)

Sandy L.
"Some days, you just want the dragon to win."

7:07 PM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

Michelle!
You mean you don't listen to the Old Fuddy Duddy station!?!? But there are some fantastic '70s songs that never get played at wedding receptions!!
:)
Sandy L.
"Some days, you just want the dragon to win."

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home