Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, February 02, 2007

J.K. Rowling has Writer’s Block??
Or…what’s your muse up to?

Look, if 2.9 million copies of Choices Meant for Gods were guaranteed to fly off the shelves the way 2.9 million copies of Harry Potter are supposed to fly off the shelves this July, you can best bet there would be no problem with writer’s block in my writing den. Dude. I have no problem with writer’s block on a bad day. I can’t imagine it descending upon me when I’ve just been listed as one of the wealthiest women in the world—that would be up there with the Waltons and the Queen of England.

So. The topic of this article is “what’s up with your muse” because I’m curious about this. How many writers out there struggle to get started writing each day? How many of you find it difficult to come up with a new idea or a new plotline or a new character? How many of you, seriously, ever suffer from writer’s block?

See…I never do. Maybe it’s the pictures of John Taylor in all his hotness plastered around my writing den that keep the creativity stoked. Maybe it’s the pictures of dragons. Maybe it’s the candles I light when I want to work on the medieval-themed stories. Oh, wait. I may have just stumbled upon it. The medieval-themed stories versus the regular-ol’-fantasy stories versus the vampire stories versus the paranormal romance stories (oh, yeah, for some reason, my face-to-face visit with my muse on December 15 struck the paranormal romance chord in my brain and I wrote one of those novels…now I can’t stop) versus flash fiction stories versus stories for eBooks that my online writers group puts together from time to time versus…

Do you see where I’m going with this? I don’t have time for writer’s block.

So tell me if there really are “real people” like you and me who suffer from this. And what do you do to overcome it? Because, hey, I could post an article about tickling the muse tomorrow if we need to. I mean, the idea of throwing John Taylor to the floor here in the den and tickling him is fabulous. And, with that thought in mind, I feel the need to go write…

“Some days, you just want the dragon to win.”

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

What is life without writer's block like? Don't ask me, as I seem to have a continual case of it.

4:47 PM  
Blogger M. B. Weston said...

I've got so many ideas stored up in my head and in my neat little, organized-by-genre-and-subject, note card file (Does anal retentive have a hyphen?) that I don't think I'll be due for writer's block for a good ten years. Although I've been there. It's not fun. I felt like "loser writer" while I was there. I think 9-11 is what drove me to that awful place, so as long as we don't have anymore terrorist attacks on our own soil, I should be okay.

I think what I lack more than anything is time. Between working two to three jobs depending on the week, volunteering with the youth group, maintaining the hubby (you all know how hubbies need to be maintained), and keeping my mom from hating my guts because I actually have a goal that doesn't include spending all free time with her, I don't even have time to write right now. Oh, and of course maintaining the website, the blog, the myspace, the future speaking gigs.... I'm exhausted--and I just inhaled a glass of wine so I could relax and go to bed, so I don't think the brain is working anymore at this time....

Sweet dreams all.

Michelle
www.mbweston.blogspot.com

11:27 PM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

I think the only time I had writer's block was back in college when a professor would say something like "this paper is worth 90 percent of your grade for the entire semester." Oof.

But I don't think I've ever been at a loss for what to write or how to continue some project or another when I've sat down in the writing den (or on the edge of my bed or in front of the television or at the kitchen table or in traffic - yes, I make other drivers nervous - or in long lines at the grocery store or -- this list could go on forever). I have notes and fragments of dialogue on napkins and backs of envelopes and scraps of tissue paper...

But I don't want to turn this off! This is the second career, you know!

Sandy L.
"Some days, you just want the dragon to win."

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home