Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Monday, April 23, 2007

Pet Food Recipes
Or…here’s what The Dragon can offer writers’ pets today

As I mentioned Friday, recipes are alluded to in Choices Meant for Gods because the characters don’t live in a society where you can pick up a pizza on the way home from work. So my interest in cooking for the furry and feathered friends in my household isn’t totally foreign to my mind. When the pet food recall started up, I looked around at the food my pets were eating and thought, “Darn, I have to cook a lot of non-human food all of a sudden.”

The recipes I offered Friday were cat-oriented because the furry animal in my household is a cat (not mine). But I have friends with dogs, so I did some research on dog food recipes this weekend. Here’s what I came up with. You guys don’t have to work any harder than cat owners, but the stuff you get to make doesn’t seem like it would smell as bad as cat food…less stinky fish. (Hey, try making Squid Squares for water turtles sometime! That stuff is vile. You have to make it when you have a full day of open-window time, let me tell you.)

So here are a few sites that seemed better than others for dog food recipes.

www.i-love-dogs.com/dog-food-recipes.html

www.naturaldogfood.com (Click on the “Emergency Foods” link on the left side of the page. The gal appears to have a book… She shares some basic information on portion sizes based on the animal’s weight and what types of foods are best as protein sources versus roughage, etc. She also lists foods to avoid—like the usual chocolate and alcohol and honey, but also onions, raisins and grapes, and nuts. And if you have a pet bird, that grape avoidance is a good idea for Polly, too. Ask me about a terrible story I read that keeps me from feeding Petri anything grown south of the border.)

www.cooksrecipes.com/category/pet-recipes.html (This site offers both cat and dog food recipes.)

The www.aspca.org site offers some good information as well, but the lists of good recipes seem concentrated on the three I’ve listed above. Just be sure you’re checking the ingredients you put in your pet’s food for good growing practices. Things cultivated with pesticides and crazy amounts of fertilizer aren’t good for humans—imagine what they’ll do to your pet’s unsuspecting digestive system.

I wish you the best in caring for your furry (or feathered or scaled) friends in your households. I know how dear a pet is and I wish each of us to experience long, lasting friendships with our animal family members. While we wait for the all-clear message from the pet food industry, that may mean a lot of time in the kitchen baking and mixing stinky fish for them, but, in the long run, it’s worth it.

“Some days, I just want the dragon to win.”

Tags: , , , ,

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home