Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Word of the Day
Thursday, April 12, 2007
Compensation (noun) – The act of making amends; the act of paying or giving something in reparation for a loss. (from Latin compensare) In medieval days, the concept of weregild drove many follow-up battles. Wer is the OE word for man. Gild (gieldan) is the OE word meaning pay. Weregild is money or, more likely, treasure paid for a slain man. “Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to…pay me weregild.”

Word in a Sentence: In my novel Choices Meant for Gods, Jamieson Drake has pursued Chariss all her life seeking her death as compensation for what he views as her mother’s betrayal. (He’s insane.)

Your turn! What reparative sentences can you think of for me today?

“Some days, I just want the dragon to win.”

Tags: , , , , , ,

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

I compensated today and used the word of the day in my comments for a birthday greeting for some guy who has to be really proud of having survived raising such a vivacious and intelligent daughter.
Now, do I get extra compensation for using the full word twice and a form of it once?

10:59 AM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

Jeni,
Bonus points duly noted!
Sandy L.
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home