Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Word of the Day
Tuesday, April 24, 2007
Restraining Order (noun) -- A document issued by the court to prevent an individual from approaching, within a certain distance, or contacting another individual (I thought of this one around 1 a.m. as I fired off a couple of e-mails to friends of mine who are probably sick and tired of me contacting them for information, advice, other contact names/numbers, etc. It occurred to me that waking to yet another e-mail from Sandy, short as the message may be, could make said people go "what on earth?" So I shut down the computer and passed out for a few hours, thinking, I'll receive restraining orders soon. What a great word of the day for tomorrow. Here ya go.) (Oh, yeah, restrain comes from the Middle English restreynen)

Word in a Sentence: In Sandy Lender's novel Choices Meant for Gods, the government of Onweald doesn't issue restraining orders, but the council of ofersey'n did suggest Lord Jamieson Drake not come within two leagues of Amanda Chariss and her guardian Hrazon - a suggestion he promptly ignored when he attempted to murder them both.

Your turn! Look, today's word of the day is used in a tongue-in-cheek and light-hearted way in the definition. Go with it. Give me something fun and not serious or horrible. Let's bring a smile to each other's faces for the day!

"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

Tags: , , ,

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

There are times when I would like to have a restraining order issued to prevent some individuals from accessing my intellectual space. If you don't understand what I am saying when I write, in a sarcastic vein, on my blog, then don't read it or I will have to figure out a way to put out a restraining order to prevent your accessibility to that wonderful written masterpiece. Yeah, right!

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home