Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Word of the Day
Thursday, May 24, 2007
(We're featuring words from the fantasy novel Choices Meant for Gods for the duration fantasy author Sandy Lender's online book tour, so dive in and learn some words and phrases that will enhance your vernacular in the fantasy realm!)

Amanda Chariss (proper noun) - Amanda Chariss is the main character in Choices Meant for Gods. Despite the difficult life she's led running from an evil sorcerer since he killed her family when she was 4 years old, she's a strong, independent, compassionate young woman. At the outset of the fantasy novel, she doesn't believe she's strong or independent, and she leans upon her wizard guardian out of habit. It takes the myriad challenges and trials throughout the story not only to convince her that she's the chosen protector of a god, but also to let her accept and embrace that destiny. I adore her sense of humor, too. I'm so glad she picked me to tell her story...

Etymology: Amanda comes from nothing more than the Barry Manilow song Mandy. I've been a fan of Mr. Manilow since hearing that song when I was five years old and it remains my favorite song of all time (did I hear a collective gasp from all the Duranies?) for a variety of reasons. So, of course my heroine carries that name...and perhaps that's why I'm so drawn to the song. Nigel is the only person who calls her Mandy. He also calls her 'Manda. These little pet names are because he's madly in love with her, of course. ;)
The name Chariss evolved over time. Originally it was Sharlee (with no Amanda in front), but that just wasn't setting well with me, and when I wrote down scenes with that name in them, they didn't seem to flow correctly and the character moved in a disjointed fashion. Once I got her name right, she blossomed. I believe Chariss is a derivative of Charlotte (as in Charlotte Bronte), but I can't be sure.

Word in a Sentence (from the text of Choices Meant for Gods, page 79): Chariss ignored His taunting, wondering how one could be angry with her god and not get struck down for it.

Your turn! Can you use Chariss's name in a glowing and lovely sentence? Jeni, this should be easier than the last three days have been! (and you can use an exclamation point)

"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

Tags: , , , , ,

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

And, is there some reason that you think I might stop using an explanation point?!!!! Guess that's becoming my signature thing isn't it?

I would think the "Chariss" of Amanda's name would denote something like "Cherished one" or something to that effect. I know -lousy use of the word there.

But, my "baby" and I would like to commend you on the choice of Amanda for her first name. Oddly enough, my Amanda only allows her dad and me to call her either "Mandy" and she will permit her two siblings to call her "Manda" too though. But if someone else tries to call her by either of those two nicknames, she frequently puts that person in their place in short order telling them "Only my Mom or Dad can call me that!"

12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home