Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Exploring the Pen Name
Another Pseudonym Birthday...This Time George Michael
(During the month of June, here at Today the Dragon Wins we explore the use of pseudonyms. Don't forget to participate in the discussion in the comment field to enter the contest for a copy of the eBook versions of Choices Meant for Gods and Apparitions. Details were posted June 1.)

If you haven't figured it out by now, I'm a child of the '80s. I loved the hair bands, the pop bands, the easy music bands, the metal bands, the teen movies, the Bond movies (Roger Moore is my fave), the teeny-bopper magazines with their ludicrous headlines (What Can You Do To Get Scott Bao To Like You? What Hairstyle Makes The Greatest American Hero Swoon?), the cheesy TV shows with the cheesy music beds. So, of course, I must celebrate one more pen name out of the '80s...that Wham! UK singer himself...George Michael.

His real name? I couldn't begin to spell it correctly. Thus the genius behind changing it when he went into show biz. (or music biz, as the case may be) It's Greek. Like a god from the pantheon, yes?

Anyway. I'm a fan. I adored Wham and still get that "oooo yay!" feeling when one of their songs filters across the radio waves. And I followed George's career right up to present day. Let me tell you something. The first time I heard Waltz Away Dreaming by Toby Bourke and George Michael, I cried. Tears, people. Tears. It's just lovely. And George's An Easier Affair is just to die for. Yum.

George Michael is still an amazing artist in this decade. He's not just that lovely Greek Adonis from the '80s. That pen name worked out well, I'd say. Happy Birthday, George!

"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

Tags: , , , , ,

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a huge believer in pseudonyms. I publish under a half a dozen of them myself.

7:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home