Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Exploring the Pen Name
Birthday Examples Include the Fabulous Barry Manilow...and ME!
(During the month of June, here at Today the Dragon Wins we explore the use of pseudonyms. Don't forget to participate in the discussion in the comment field to enter the contest for a copy of the eBook versions of Choices Meant for Gods and Apparitions. Details were posted June 1.)

I get the fabulous honor of sharing a birthday (June 17) with one of my idols: the incomparable Barry Manilow. If you've read this blog before, you may have stumbled across my obsession with the man. I think he's just grand. I've adored him since I was about five years old when I first heard Mandy. It's been my favorite song for...oh...33 years now. (I'll pause while you do the math.) How do you think my main character in Choices Meant for Gods got her nickname? I can't believe it was by accident that she whispered "Amanda" in my ear and one day Nigel started calling her "Mandy."

How does this fit into the pseudonym discussion we've been holding during the month of June? Well, let's just say that Mr. Manilow adopted a pseudonym of his own. Does anyone out there know his given name? I do. Bwuahahahaha. But, because I have an evil streak in me, I'm not going to post it here. I'm going to let one of his other fans weigh in on that. I mean, it's only fair to keep the discussion part of the pseudonym game going, right?

Personally, I think Barry Manilow has done quite well with his moniker. It flows nicely. It's well-known now because he's built that name into an empire. He OWNS Las Vegas. His Music and Passion show at the Hilton, which I had the good fortune to experience back in March, is exquisite. The man will be an outstanding performer forever. He's just got it in his blood.

I'd like to have that kind of success for my characters with my name, even if I've elected not to use a pen name. I'm going with what I got: Sandy Lender. I stick the words Fantasy Author in front of it as often as I can and then hope for the best. What I find fabulous is that you can also stick the words "Barry Manilow Fan" in front of my name. If you're also a fan, you might find today's Word of the Day (in the next post) fun. Play along!

"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Sandy! I knew there was more to why I liked you other than your being an excellent author and your social media expertise: you share a birthday with my six-year-old son, as well.

Though I bet you won't be getting a remote-controlled R2D2 as a gift today.

Enjoy the day!

Range

9:17 AM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

OMG...If I had better lung capacity, I would gasp. A remote-controlled R2D2 is a fabulous gift! What a lucky kid!

Happy birthday to the offspring.
And thanks for the coo-el comments. I would send a check in the mail, but it would bounce if all the doctors' checks got to them first... bwuahahahahahaha.

I should be leaving this at your blog so I can see if there's an update on your discussions with the agent. I'm wishing you luck, you know!

Sandy L.
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

9:35 AM  
Blogger Lyddy said...

It's Barry Pincus. Id change it for the stage to. He's got a great sounding stage name and its served himwell.

10:30 AM  
Blogger theauthormike said...

Oh the comments I used to get from friends when I brought up Barry's name much less play his music. But they mellowed.
Happy Birthday to one of my fave ladies, you Gemini you. Next month I will turn 60 on the same day that Sandra Bullock turns 46. Wonder if she wants to change ages. I can still pass for someone in his 30's, if you have a guide dog or one of those sidewalk tappers, LOL Mikey

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home