Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Sunday, November 09, 2008

Join Me On Tour, On The Radio
Or...The Dragon starts an online tour for What Choices We Made

I should have posted this yesterday to give everyone time to make plans for this evening's radio program, but, you know, life is so chaotic that I'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown, so let's just consider it lucky that I'm blogging prior to the event at all. Yes? The thing is that I have cool news to share. I'm starting an online tour to support the upcoming release of the short story anthology What Choices We Made. I invite you to check out the trailer in the post below.

To start the tour, I invite you to visit An Aspie's Review site at this link to see today's review of a "chapter" out of What Choices We Made. My thanks go out to DJ Kirby. You can do this anytime you have a chance.

But tonight, Sunday, Nov. 9, from 9 to 11 p.m. Eastern, you can catch me and a set of other fab authors on PIVTR. Check out Host Rowena Cherry's special program on Mermaids and Manatees in celebration of Manatee Awareness Month at http://www.internetvoicesradio.com to listen in. All you have to do is go to the PIVTR Web site, look under the drop-down menu "Host" for Rowena Cherry's name and click. The authors featured tonight are Judi Fennell of Sourcebooks, Jo Webnar of Highland Press, Joey W Hill of Berkley Sensation, Rowena Cherry of Dorchester Publishing and yours truly Sandy Lender of ArcheBooks Publishing.

Now, those of you who are already familiar with my fantasy work might be scratching your heads and wondering why I'm participating in a program about mermaids and manatees when neither appear in the Choices trilogy. Well...you all should know I'm a freak for those ocean critters. My work with the sea turtles isn't limited to just monitoring their nests. I've done more research on marine debris effects on marine creatures than you can shake a stick at, and our waterways' manatees are as affected by pollution as our turtles are. October was Marine Debris Awareness Month, but that doesn't mean the average person realizes the detrimental effect plastic bags, plastic straws, cigarette butts and the like have on the creatures in the water. I could speak on this ad nauseum, but, tonight, I'll keep it to a dull roar and I'll keep it within my time limit.

I also have a wee bit I could say about mermaids because one of my works in progress is a young adult fantasy about an adventurous mermaid, but I'm going to keep my excerpt reading to my published (well...my almost-published) works. I'll be reading a scene from What Choices We Made in which a cute little sea turtle makes an appearance. How sweet is that?

If you'd like to listen in to the excerpts from Judi, Jo, Joey and me, you can access the show through the PIVTR Web site. You can also call in on the toll free line 866-97P-IVTR. So, you know, if you've got something to ask me about manatees, turtles or the Choices stories, I encourage you to call in and add to the discussion. (There's a 5-minute limit to each call.)

Thanks for checking in!
I'll let you know about each stop of the tour as we head into it this week and next.
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."
Tags: , , , ,

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Rowena Cherry said...

Sandy,

I loved the excerpt you read from What Choices We Made and cannot wait to know what happens next.

It was fabulous to talk with you (also Jo Webnar, Joey W Hill and Judi Fennell) about dragons, mermaids, manatees and --most moving of all--your experiences with sea turtle hatchlings.

Thank you for sharing your insights to help raise awareness of the dangers surrounding turtles and manatees. With luck, we used what talents we have to help our planet and the creatures in it (even in a very small and humble way).

Good luck with your tour.

11:52 PM  
Blogger DJ Kirkby said...

It is good stuff Sandy, you've done yourself proud.

2:01 AM  
Blogger Joey W. Hill said...

Sandy, I learned a great deal from your information, and as I said on the show, your short excerpt with the sea turtle hooked me. I am not easy to hook! The way you portrayed a young woman trapped in an impending marriage, releasing the sea turtle to be free in a way she couldn't, drew us into her character. In one short excerpt, you made me care - I wanted to know what was going to happen to her, how she would handle it, and you gave me enough about her to let me know she was a person worth caring about. I'm glad I had the opportunity for the exposure to your work and your compassion both!

4:17 PM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

To DJ Kirkby,
Thank you!
And thank you, again, for hosting me during my online book tour. When I read on your site that you only post reviews of books you like, I thought, "I'm already in good company." Your post was a big boost!!
Sandy L.
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

8:41 AM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

To Rowena and Joey,
It was great to spend a couple hours chatting with you and with Jo Webnar and Judi Fennell Sunday night. I'm always pleased to talk about conservation issues with like-minded folks. I must tell you, one of the reasons I worry so much about the manatees is because I saw a bumper sticker down here in Florida that said "Manatees aren't in danger, your boating rights are in danger." It boggled my mind to think that a creature who numbers around 2,500 and is losing members to the tune of 300+ each year wouldn't be considered in danger. But I guess having to slow your boat so you don't run over something that lives where you want to play is just too much of a sacrifice for some people...

I'm glad you enjoyed the excerpt I read from What Choices We Made. I'm "touring" to support its release this week and next so I'm off to do some promotion!

Thank you again for a lovely evening!
Sandy L.
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home