Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Thanks a Lot
When do you get the cards out?

I have a friend who agonizes over thank-you notes. I don't quite get that. For me, writing a thank-you note is usually pretty easy (once I actually make the time to do it) because I'm truly grateful to people for the stuff they do for me.

It amazes me that I ended up with such incredible friends, and when they make me a CD full of random music they know I'll love or they send me flowers or they band together to pool funds so I can attend a Duran concert during a period of bizarre financial crap or they take me out clubbing for my birthday or "whutevah," I'm excited to send a note to express my appreciation. It's always surprising that someone would want to go to the effort of going to a store for the express purpose of spending money on me, so of course I'm going to be thankful. (And if I've braved the shopping mall experience--and this includes the parking lot--to get your gift, then I must love you immensely.)

So why are thank-you notes difficult for this one friend of mine? Well, he has trouble with writing in general, which also boggles my mind. I tried telling him to "just write what you think as you think it." No dice. So, effusions of gratitude don't pour out of him, but that's okay. He can buy the little notecards at Target and sign his name--coz it's the thought that counts.

So here's my question for anyone reading.

When do you write your thank-you notes for birthday or Christmas (or other) presents? For Christmas in particular, I give it a good, honest effort during the first week of January (my schedule is insane and I tend to write novellas back to people), but I have been known to lose said notes and end up mailing them a month after writing them. Oops. (Again...my schedule is insane.) Do you think two weeks after receipt of the gift is an acceptable time-frame for getting the thank-you note in the post?

"Some days, you just want the dragon to win."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do we need a reason to say thanks to friends? Why not expand the question to discuss sending a thanks just because you were on my mind?

4:40 PM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

Good Heavens. I would spend the day zipping out e-mails and letters and making phone calls...I would awake at 2:00 a.m. and call Christine in St. Louis to hear her say, "Sandy, if you call me at this ungodly hour again, I will kill you." ;) But it's a good thought. The more often we think of them, the better it is for our souls.

Sandy L.
"Some days, you just want the dragon to win."

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home