Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Guess Where I Am!
Or...I didn't realize I was freaking people out

A friend told me on the phone last night that I have this thing I do. I call up someone to share something exciting and I begin the conversation with "Guess where I am!" Turns out this frightens them. Who would have thought...

See, I have this propensity for living out that whole carpe diem thing. Used to be, I'd call and say "What are you doing on - fill in a date here - ?" and the person on the other end of the line would become extremely excited because I was about to invite her to go "seize the day" with me. I actually caused Jennine Goodman to hyperventilate (no exaggeration - she hyperventilated - you can ask her boss, who witnessed it) with that when I did this on a Monday after the weekend when we were trying to win tickets to a Neurotic Outsiders concert in LA. Considering my ability back then to win stuff, she knew what was coming after the "What are you doing September 19?" (or whatever date it was)

Now that I'm alone in another state with the majority of my "crazy" friends back in the other two places that I consider home towns, I don't have anyone I can rely on to be "crazy" with me (although I'm working on one gal in particular).

Anyway, my new catch phrase, it would appear, is "guess where I am". The answer is usually "the airport". And the answer usually involves Duran Duran. This was the case when I hopped on a plane (spontaneously) for a whirlwind (weekend) trip to England to see them play in December 2005. THAT was amazing. One of the best decisions I've made. (Another good decision is in the next paragraph...) I can recall making the calls from the airport before leaving the country because I hadn't sprung for the international cell phone. I don't remember if it was a matter of "not enough time" or "not enough money" or both.

Back in November '06, I called everyone and their brother to say "guess where I am" and the answer was "standing in front of John Taylor's microphone stand!" because I'd woven my way through the Gnarls Barkley and Modest Mouse crowds (good bands, by the way) to stand behind one single solitary gal (who was very cool) in front of the band. In December, I called Jennine to say "guess where I am" and the answer was "a parking garage in Atlanta". The rest of that story can be found on this very blog in Face to Face with the Muse; a quick thank-you to John Taylor.

Does anyone else do this? Or am I insane? Do you call up your friends in some bizarre state of excitement and give them cause for concern - on a regular basis? It would appear I do so...

"Some days, you just want the dragon to win."

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

I sort of did that once about 37 years ago - called the guy I was seeing at the time to ask him to please come get me (at about 2 a.m.) and when he asked where I was - my response was "Prince George's County Jail" - and bear in mind, back then, I was the little miss goodie two-shoes in the crowd I used to run with! He was not the least bit impressed with me - especially when I told him to be sure to bring $17.50 extra with him cause that's how much it would take to get me out of there! Oh, those were the days!

12:46 PM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

The absolute best part of that story (aside from bail being a mere $17.50) is the name of the jail!

Prince George's County Jail!!??

That's priceless. Jeni, put that in a story, Babe!

Sandy L.
"Some days, you just want the dragon to win."

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home