Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Saturday, January 06, 2007

How Do You Use Your Voice?
Things we care about...

My friends Linda Rucker and Mike Morris have begun a site to assist in education about HIV/AIDS. While that isn't the "breath of fresh air" kind of topic this blog is set up to discuss, it is an important topic that I'll direct my readers to because it's a topic I care about. I have friends whose interests are at stake. So if I can use my "voice" by suggesting viewers/readers/visitors take a look at Linda and Mike's site, well, then, I've done my good deed for the day.

www.freewebs.com/justsaywhat

But viewing a site wasn't enough. Mike has a book he's written called Jessie Remembers. It hasn't been published yet, so I can't tell you where to pick up a copy, but there's a scene in the book that inspired me to complete an assignment for a writers' meeting this afternoon. I read my scene aloud, as each of us who completed our assignment was supposed to do, and, when I'd finished, I looked up at a lady across the table from me to see that her eyes were big as hubcaps and she had nothing to say. A couple of the other ladies were red-faced and on the verge of tears, which, I guess, is a good thing, considering the subject. The online writers I posted it to reacted more with anger.

So I'm not sure how my readers here will take it. I've posted it as the next article below.

My hope is that it just makes people think twice about the hate and indifference still present in our world. We can do something with our voices if we set our minds to it. Educating people about HIV/AIDS research isn't my calling. Those of you who know me know that animal welfare causes are my forte. Put a baby sea turtle in my path and you'll see all kinds of action. But when Mike and Linda started their "justsaywhat" site and program, I felt compelled to at least use my voice to help spread the word...

"Some days, you just want the dragon to win."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home