Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Great Quotes
Or…What inspires the writer in You?

Inspiration comes in many forms. Wave a picture of John Taylor in front of me and I can write you a 20,000-word romance story in about three hours. (You think I’m joking, don’t you?) Lots of things motivated me during the initial formation of Choices Meant for Gods, but sometimes we need inspiration to do other than write.

Certain quotations through the years have moved me. There’s one that’s gone ’round the ’net with the name “anonymous” attached to it, although someone told me Erma Brombeck (and, yes, I’m sure I just butchered her name) authored it:

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, rum runner in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, “woo-hoo, what a ride!”

I had to modify it because the fabulous olives in martinis were migraine triggers for me (doggonit) and I prefer rum runners (for Duran-related reasons that a Duranie can explain to you in depth). Anyway, this quote has become my motto for life.

Another quote I’ve discovered recently that I also want to use for a life motto comes from the unlikely source of Mark Twain (I’m not a fan):

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.

I like the concept behind it.

What quotes inspire you to write or paint or create in some other way? What words make you pick up your pen (or hit the keyboard) with renewed zeal? Or, you know, what quotes just help you get through a tough day?

“Some days, you just want the dragon to win.”

Tags:, ,

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Jamieson Wolf said...

It's funny that you talk about quotes. They're a HUGE source of inspiration for me and good motivators.

One that I keep coming back to and that I usually start all my serial novels with is the following quote:


If writing must be a precise form of communication, it should be treated like a precision instrument. It should be sharpened, and it should not be used carelessly.

--Theodore M. Bernstein, newspaper editor, 1979


It reminds me to live through my words and therefore never write anything I regret. :)

Cheers,
Jamieson

8:23 AM  
Blogger Jeni said...

Quotes - old adages, new ones - I use kazillions of 'em in my day-to-day existence but my favorite quote from the written word has to be "I'll worry about it tomorrow." from the infamous Scarlett O'Hara and my favorite novel of all I think, GWTW!'' But I have lots of others too -mostly from TV shows though that intersperse my vocabulary. "Tarzan no need rope," from WKRP is a favorite of mine and my older daughter as well - along with the one about thinking turkeys could fly -also from WKRP! My kids could probably quote my quote assemblege better than I can right now as they've heard them all upteen times as part of a lecture or analogy or whatever!

4:15 PM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

My Dear Jamieson,
Here's the cynical inspiration for the day:

"So I stayed in bed and drank. When you drank the world was still out there, but for the moment it didn't ahve you by the throat." -- Charles Bukowski

He he he.
Sandy L.
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

7:45 AM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

Jeni,
I don't know if you're aware that I'm a huge Bronte fan, but one of the inspiration quotes that I like to fling out there whenever possible (and people around me will start quoting it back to me when I'm older, I'm sure) is from Jane Eyre:

"I am no bird; and no net ensnares me; I am a free human being with an independent will;"

What I like best is that the quote ends with something that fits my life now: "I am a free human being with an independent will; which I now exert to leave you."

FANTASTIC!
Charlotte Bronte was a goddess! I love her!

Sandy L.
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home