Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Monday, February 26, 2007

Writing Conference in Naples
Or…My Sunday

Yesterday I attended the Naples Press Club’s Writer’s Conference specifically to help my publisher move books. (Nigel blogged about this on the blog about me last night at http://sandylender.blogspot.com/.) Choices Meant for Gods is still slated for release in the next couple of months, so we didn’t have copies of it there, but I was still able to help other ArcheBooks authors move some of their books. I also had some fantastic opportunities to share ideas.

An author that I’ve mentioned on this blog before, Linda Bilodeau, who has the novel Stepping Through Seagrass available now, sat with Penny Lauer and me for a while discussing websites and blogs. When Prudy Taylor Board, author of Murder a la Carte, joined us, we came up with a fabulous idea for creating a traveling speaking group called the ArcheBook Divas that will pretty much take over the world by 2009. I will, of course, keep visitors to The Dragon apprised.

I also met a gal named Tina who will be starting her first work of fiction any day now. What’s intriguing about her story is she’s starting by learning the craft; the “rules,” if you will; the marketing and promoting; and what publishers want before she’s written the first word. I was very impressed by that and I hope I get to see her at the conference next year to see how all this technical information affected her writing process.

I also talked about my plans for DragonCon, which you all will hear a lot more about.

The NPC Writer’s Conference is the event where, last year, I met Bob Gelinas of ArcheBooks and gave my pitch for Choices Meant for Gods. That was where I handed him my proposal and synopsis and began the process of begging God to let this man ask for the manuscript. Three days later (oooh, it’s just occurred to me how biblical that was…), Bob requested the manuscript, and about a month later I had the contract to publish my first fantasy novel, which is a story of a young lady who’s been on the run from a madman all her life. When she finally stands to fight, she discovers she’s wrapped in centuries of prophecy that involve her protecting the gods themselves.

Of course I’ll let you all know when the galleys arrive. I will shout it on the mountain.

“Some days, I just want the dragon to win.”

Tags:, , , , ,

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger M. B. Weston said...

I like the 30 second pitch!

3:05 PM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

Clever how that was just sorta snuck in there, eh? ;)

I've got that thing memorized but I can deliver it like it's not. Now I just have to train friends and family to do the same. He he he.

And now you need to train me to say yours...shoot me an e-mail, Darlin'.

Sandy L.
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home