Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Mediums
Or…acrylic paint and other artist faves

Today at The Dragon, Megan Kissinger shares her favorite medium in which to work! So today is more of a fun day, but artists can still learn something very valuable in her answers below…if you watch closely…

The Dragon: What is your favorite medium to work with?
Megan Kissinger: Acrylic paint on canvas.

The Dragon: What do you like about working with acrylics?
Megan Kissinger: I can work large and acrylic paint allows for a very realistic look. In my bird paintings that I love the most, I can get every feather, every glint in the eye, just the way I want it to look.

The Dragon: When/how did you discover acrylic-on-canvas and what was your first project in it (if you even remember!)?

Megan Kissinger: Google the name Carl Schwartz. I became twice the artist I had been when I took a painting techniques class from him. He teaches artists to really see. Not just what we presume something looks like, but truly what is there. A graduate of the Art Institute of Chicago, he was one of the pioneer artists of acrylic paint. He even worked for a time for one of the companies (maybe Windsor & Newton or Liquitex, I’m not sure) traveling around showing off the versatility of acrylic. He explained to me how the paint works at the microscopic level, some techniques to get a painting to pop and sparkle, such as underpainting, glazing, color theory and brush techniques. On the second day of class, I went out and found the biggest canvas I could and painted a larger-than-life Sandhill Crane. It was the best thing I had ever painted and is the only painting I will never sell. My kids will probably fight over it after I’m dead. Carl and I still keep in touch although not as often as I’d like with family and work obligations.

The Dragon: For visitors, here are a couple links to Carl E. Schwartz, but I recommend following Megan’s advice and researching this gentleman yourself to gather more information to satisfy your curiosity:
http://www.askart.com/AskART/artists/search/Search_Repeat.aspx?searchtype=IMAGES&artist=73786

http://www.askart.com/AskART/artists/biography.aspx?searchtype=BIO&artist=73786

The interview with Megan concludes tomorrow…
“Some days, I just want the dragon to win.”

Tags: , , , , ,

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home