Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, May 25, 2007

Word of the Day
Friday, May 25, 2007
Derdriu (proper noun) – the last name of the main/lead female character's name in the fantasy novel Choices Meant for Gods by fantasy author Sandy Lender; Amanda Chariss Derdriu

Etymology: Chariss's last name used to be Dieron, which I just made up because I thought it was what Chariss had whispered to me, but then I read a myth that just tickled me and her last name morphed into Derdriu. It's the first name of a lady with magical powers in mythology. She was a beautiful daughter of a guy named Uisliu, and in the myth I read, she grabs her dad by the ears and says, “You’ll come with me or else I’ll put a curse upon you.” Now, Chariss would never grab someone she loved and threaten them that way, but she's got that kind of spunk and spirit in her.

Word in a Paragraph (from the text of Choices Meant for Gods, page 162): "Little Amanda Chariss Derdriu. Jamieson Drake requests an audience with you." The huskiness of the voice dripped with animosity. From across the city, Hrazon felt Chariss's mind slam fear into him with a force like the winds that had ravaged Arcana months before.

Your turn! What do you think? Do you have any sentences about a spunky Chariss in you today?

"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

Tags: , , , , ,

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home