Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, May 11, 2007

Writers Guide
Baby, Baby, I’m Fallin’ in Love
Or…what character do you dream about at night

Okay, readers and writers alike! Today’s post demands interaction. I want you to tell me who you’re madly in love with. (I’ve got a list.) Rules: 1. The name(s) has to be a character from a novel – but it can be a novel you’ve written or that someone else has written. 2. I don’t want a plot synopsis here – I just want to know why this character is so hot.

So! Hit the comment link below and tell me the following:
Who you adore!
1. Character’s name
2. Book he/she is in
3. Author’s name
4. If it’s not a well-known book, tell me who’s published it or when
5. Why is this character so fly?

I’ll go first to give you your example (and, yeah, this is partly a shameless plug, and this is partly complete insanity; all you writers suffer from the same disease right along with me)
Who I adore!
1. Joshua Nigel Taiman
2. from Choices Meant for Gods
3. by Sandy Lender
4. Published by ArcheBooks (www.archebooks.com), March 27, 2007
5. Nigel’s a fantasy-world Edward Rochester (and that should make all the women swoon); he’s tall, dark, handsome, broody, moody yet romantic (loves his mother), and would die for the woman he’s fallen in love with; he can snap a man’s neck with his fingers to protect his gal and has a smile that melts the snow at the top of the mountain his gothic home is built out of

Your turn! Baby, baby, tell me who you’re fallin’ in love with…

“Some days, I just want the dragon to win.”

(And if you want today's Dragon update, it's similar to yesterday's. Go to the archives for Tuesday, May 8 and read up! The fabulous, exclusive book signing event in Cape Coral is still on for May 19 and we want to see you there!)

Tags: , , , , , ,

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Jamieson Wolf said...

Okay, let's see if I can do this:

1. Wesley
2. The Princess Bride
3. William Goldman
4. If you don't know about The Princess Bride, there's something wrong with you.
5. He's just so damn charming. He's adventerous, handsome, gallant AND he believes in true love! How can you not love him? Oh, and it doesn't hurt that he looks good in black and is more gorgeous than a naked Orlando Bloom holding chocolates and a Visa card with my name on it.

Hows that? LOL

7:06 AM  
Blogger Marilyn said...

Okay,Sandy. Loved the book, Hunt for Red October. Captain Rameus, commander of the nuclear Russian sub, the Red October. He is strong in his conviction that he must defect to the United States and does not hesitate to kill anyone who gets in his way. His cool demeanor while under extreme pressure (a torpedo is headed his way and he casually asks Jack Ryan about his books) really make him a standout, strong character. For once, I wanted the Russian to win, not the Americans. (Alec Baldwin was Jack Ryan in the movie, before he became a parenting expert) and I applauded the casting of Sean Connery as the Russian commander, as that was whose image was stuck in my head.
It's unusual for me to love a very technical book (Tom Clancy is the author) but I tended to skim over the parts I didn't need to understand, anyway. All I needed to know was Rameus ---um,um, um, um, um!

9:40 AM  
Blogger Philly Girl said...

Okay Sandy, I know my answer will surprise you.

1. Conor Larkin
2. Trinity
3. Leon Uris
4. Don't remember who published it, but it's quite well known.
5. It's been a while since I read the book, but Conor truly defines heroism. He has his share of shortcomings and self-doubt, but he never betrays his convictions. Truly, he sets an example to which all can aspire. I named my son Conor, in honor of him.

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Kara Carney
2. Nobody's Investment
3. John S. Meade
4. Virtualbookworm published and it's availabe on amazon.com
5. Because she looks past the material things and sees a man's heart and finds love.

Book Description
Beaten, abused and abandoned as a child, Daniel J. O'Connor struggles daily as an adult searching for a normal existence. His one burning desire is to find a woman to love that he can call his wife.
But Daniel finds out there is a price he has to pay for love-a very high price indeed. Thus the stage is set for this page-turner of a book. John S. Meade has created an unforgettable story that not only shows the beauty of love but also the crippling pain of misplaced love.

A tale of action and romance, Nobody's Investment is a book that once you have started you won't be able to put down until its surprise and poignant ending

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1589397010/ref=pd_sl_aw_alx-jeb-9-1_book_16264072_1

10:29 AM  
Blogger Henri de Montmorency said...

I love myself. What can I say?

Bonjour,
Henri de Montmorency

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Roarke
2. Any of Nora Roberts futuristic series with Eve Dallas.
3. Nora Roberts
4. C'mon, you know who she is.
5. Roark, husband of Eve with his jet black hair, his hot body, his money, his utter control, his humanness just makes me crazy. It doesn't hurt that he's Irish and his language slips when he's angry. Not one little bit. What's more, he loves a woman who must be amazingly difficult to love.

Bailey

11:15 AM  
Blogger Jeni said...

1.Rhett Butler
2.Gone With The Wind
3. Margaret Mitchell
4. I have no idea who published this but don't think it really matters in this case as it is probably one of the best known novels of all time. (Certainly ranks as my most favorite!)
5. Even before I saw the movie, Clark Gable would have been my choice to play Rhett, as that is exactly how, in my mind's eye, I had pictured him!
I feel a bit guilty though cause I read Trinity by Leon Uris and my goodness, I had forgotten about Conor and what a hunk he appeared to be in my mind's eye too! But then again, I only read that book once, compared to the 3 or maybe 4 times I read GWTW before I graduated from high school. It was almost an annual ritual for me.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

Fabulous choices, you guys. Yes, Wesley is great. I have to admit that I haven't read GWTW. The thing is...I've only seen about half of the movie, but I can quote you lines out of it because I worked with this gal who was OBSESSED with it. (and with Rhett)
How about...

1. Aragorn
2. Return of the King
3. J.R.R. Tolkien
4. Eegads, who did publish those? In the United States...
5. You know, I thought he was a stud but I didn't truly appreciate what he sacrificed and what he went through until the movies brought Viggo into the picture. Holy cow. So I have to admit that my adoration of Aragorn is influenced by the actor and the actor's portrayal of the character. (I know, shame on me...) But he's still a kick-butt ranger who takes charge of his destiny and accepts his responsibilities and saves the day. HE at least doesn't fail in HIS quest in the book. Unlike a certain little hobbit that shall go unnamed... ;)

Sandy L.
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's one:
1. Conan -- not the Arnold kind, but the real one in the novels
2. Several titles Conan, Conan the Barbarian, etc.
3. Robert E. Howard
4. Wierd Tales, Del Rey
5. "Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet."
He loved hard, fought hard and lived life with a lust that could never be rivaled.

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dorian, a character in The Book of Retslu by Joe Vadalma and published by Mundania Press (www.mundania.com), is a pleasant and naive young man, the kind women like to mother. He is handsome with a youthful face, adventurous, and resourceful. He must put out great pheromes, because women fall all over him for no apparent reason. His one fault it that he has no sense of direction and is always lost.

8:23 AM  
Blogger OddAngelCharon said...

1) Merriman Lyon
2) The Dark is Rising (and subsequent tomes)
3) Susan Cooper
4) Various
5) My copies of this book are well-loved, worn and dog-eared and I share them with others often.Mentor to young Will Stanton in this first book of the Dark is Rising Sequence, I met Merriman when I was 12 and still find him intimidating and inspiring over 20 years later. Merriman is the eldest of a group of immortals helping to keep the Light-Dark balance in the world in good standing. Among other things, he led me to many classes that comprised my most recent college degree, heavy in mythology and storytelling. I can think of few characters that have encouraged me to better myself and increase my understanding of the world around me in this manner.

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home