Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Stupid Thing I Stopped Myself From Saying
Or...Yes, The Dragon was cautious and DID NOT tell the grocery cashier that she has the name of a lesbian prostitute

Ah, the holidays. Hustle and bustle and opportunities to stop in at stores you don't normally go into...

I hit a different grocery store and went through a check-out lane where a cashier named Adelaide was working. Now, to anyone else, this would be no big deal, I'm sure. But I don't believe I've ever met anyone named Adelaide...other than the lovely woman in my Choices trilogy who helps Amanda Chariss. For a split second, I almost said, "Hey! I have a character in my fantasy novels named Adelaide!" Some folks get pretty stoked when you tell them a character shares their name. Then, thank God, a switch in my brain flipped to "wait." I don't know that the elderly lady wearing her carefully applied layers of Mary Kay would have appreciated my follow-up of, "Adelaide is the lesbian prostitute who gives information to the heroine..."

So I just kept my mouth shut...for a change!

"Some days, you just want the dragon to win."
Tags: , , , ,

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Islamorada said...

I still would have been flattered if it had been me. =) But you never know!!!! You were probably very wise.

PS - I love that one of the tages for this blog post is lesbian, BTW

12:05 PM  
Blogger Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

You probably handled it correctly, but still it might have been fun to see her expression when you gave her the details of her namesake!)

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home