Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, December 22, 2006

Gimme Your Favorite O-So Inspired Lyrics

Have you ever been listening to a song on the radio, singin' along, groovin' out, when you suddenly thought, "Wait, what did he just say?" A friend of mine once pointed out that Blondie's "Call Me" has a line that sounds just like she's yelling "corned beef…on rye", and I've not been able to hear the real words since. But the real words to some songs are just as bad as the stuff we imagine we hear. Consider the literary genius of Starship's "We Built This City on Rock and Roll".

My favorite bizarre line out of a contemporary (and I'll use that word in an all-encompassing sense) music song is from Paul Davis's "'65 Love Affair":

Well I acted like a dumb dumb
You were bad with your pom poms


Fabulous. The thing is, I really like the song, but, even as a youngster hearing the song I thought, "Wait, what did he just say?"

One of my girlfriends likes the banality of Toto's "Roseanna, yeah!" Surely we can all get stopped in our tracks by several lyrics out of the Black Eyed Peas's catalog (and don't get me wrong; I love the BEP). So what's your favorite inspired moment of creative writing set to music? What bizarre lyric in a song makes you grin? Share! (Maybe we'll do serious lyrics next time...)

"Some days, you just want the dragon to win."

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Philly Girl said...

"Thought she'd get a hand on a member of Duran Duran..." >:)

11:35 AM  
Blogger Don said...

Hey from Kirksville, MO.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Most bizarre lyrics you say. Well there are some out there but one got me up at two in the morning and had me go to the payphone on the corner because we didn't have a phone at the time. The song was 'Bullfrog Blues' and the artist is David Bromberg. The album is How late'll you play to. I had to buy the album because it took two calls and I still didn't have the answer so I had to buy the album. I now have it on cd and I am still not real danged sure of the lyric!

12:28 PM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

DON!!!!

Merry Christmas to you and the girls!

Kirksville...dude are you buried in snow or something like that for Christmas? I remember ice...and wind...ice and wind...

Sandy L.
"Some days, you just want the dragon to win."

5:21 PM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

Try this site for the best estimation of the "Bullfrog Blues" lyrics. It is a riot...the part about her eyes...one red, one green, stop, go...

http://www.audiogalaxy.com/pages/thread.php?&t=918

Sandy L.
"Some days, you just want the dragon to win."

5:36 PM  
Blogger Don said...

Email me. don dot bindner at gmail dot com

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home