Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Sunday, December 09, 2007

Keep a Notebook by the Bed
Or...writers never know when inspiration will strike

I had one of those ridiculous migraines last night. It was just a naggy headache in the afternoon, but it did something violent around 8:00. By 8:05, I had an Imitrex in my system. By 8:30, I was in bed praying not to vomit up the Imitrex. (Those things cost $21 per pill when you don't have insurance, let me tell you.) I believe in the power of prayer, by the way, because by 3:30 a.m., the migraine had abated and I had this fabulous idea for another fantasy novel set on the continent of Onweald. It doesn't include Chariss, the main character in the Choices Meant for Gods trilogy (which will make Nigel Taiman boo and hiss over at http://sandylender.blogspot.com/ when he hears of it), but the main character in this new idea/next novel makes a stop by the Arcanan estate "in the past" because it's necessary.

How's them apples?

Now, I would prefer to have non-drug-and-migraine-induced ideas pop in. The migraine-induced ones hurt. How do you other writers get middle-of-the-night ideas? Are they usually dream-induced? Do your plot twists come about after a night of too much champagne? Or does it take a looming deadline to get your characters to speak their minds? I'm curious.

We'll return to word of the day and quote of the day tomorrow because I appear to have waited until rather late in the day to post. Seems a waste to cut and paste them now...

See you all in the morning!
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Laura M. Crawford said...

I really don't get inspired bedside, but inspiration hits me in the darn shower! I can't keep a notepad and pen next to the shower, but someday I'm going to invent something that will be waterproof and go from shower to computer and show up all typed up, saved, and backed up. It seems that by the time I get out of the shower, dry off, and get the robe on, the idea is gone or just a fleeting ghost by the time I get to a pen and paper.

But I still have a pen and paper by my bed, under my alarm clock...just in case! :)

Laura :)

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home