Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

What Rerun Would You Give up Your Writing Time For?
Or…how many hours of your day do you devote to nostalgia?

I opened up a Dove dark chocolate Promises candy and read the message inside the red foil wrapper. "watch reruns, they replay your memories."

Now, I question this. First of all, I have trouble finding the time to post on this blog with all the life tasks I perform. You know I'm editing the sequel to Choices Meant for Gods because my publisher wants to see it. I've just started a new fulltime job as editor of AsphaltPro magazine. And I've got some life "issues" that take time to discuss with attorneys and banks and whatnot. So watching reruns seems like a waste of electricity to me.

Writers! How many of you sit around watching television in the first place, let alone watching something you've already seen once? Now here's where I can dig the rerun idea: nostalgia. See, there's this tv show called Simon and Simon that used to be on back in the early '80s with an actor named Jameson Parker. He was the inspiration for the evil, mad sorcerer Lord Jamieson Drake in my fantasy novel, Choices Meant for Gods. So I could see myself getting totally sucked into watching that show. (Of course, I'd have to subscribe to the Sleuth channel, which, I understand, shows reruns of Simon and Simon.) I adored the character Mr. Parker played — A.J. Simon, the "responsible" brother who drove the arrest-me-red Z28 Camaro. Ah, yes, I can still hum the theme song with the sax solo…

Seasonally, I will drop anything I'm doing to watch How the Grinch Stole Christmas. In fact, I have this little stuffed dog who looks just like Max, and I will fetch him out of the bedroom to sit on my lap and "watch" it with me. No lie.

So I guess the little Dove foil wrapper is right. Reruns replay memories. So, writers of the world, let's hear it. You must all have some tv show that would tear you away from the computer screen for an hour (or half hour, depending on the program) if you suddenly heard the dulcet tones of the theme song in the other room. What is it? What show do you long to see again? I've bared my soul and told you mine. You can use the comment link below to bare your soul to all of us.

"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

Tags: , , , , , ,

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Jamieson Wolf said...

I do the same for The Grinch. I have a plush Grinch and a plush Max complete with the antler on his head and I can't wait to take them out every Christmas. Speaking of which, I'm decorating today! YAYEEEE!

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SIMON & SIMON for me too!
But I've got a 'thang' for the OTHER brother, Rick Simon, played by that tall, handsome, Gerald McRaney!!
Did you see him in DEADWOOD and JERICHO??
He ages like a fine wine.

3:00 AM  
Blogger Carole McDonnell said...

Wow, what a great post! I love it. Thanks so much. -C

9:23 AM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

Omigosh, Grace! My little sister loved Gerald McRaney!

And, Jamieson, I haven't decorated yet...I think I'll have to skip my three hours of sleep one night to make the decorations appear. ;) ***insert maniacal laughter here***

"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."
Sandy L.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Laura M. Crawford said...

This time of year, even though I have the DVD, it is "It's a Wonderful Life" with Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed. Love that movie! I have the original black and white, and I cry everytime I watch it, even though I know the ending and I've seen it over a hundred times (I'm estimating).

If it's a TV show, I would have to say, "The Dukes of Hazzard". I know, I hear you all groaning out there, but when I was 10 years old and madly in love with John Schneider (Bo Duke), I used to write a lot of stories around the Duke boys, which today would be called "fan fiction", for my class mates.

This was a great post, Sandy, and yes, I have the DVD of The Grinch and I watched it yesterday with my nephew, Cannon, who will be 2 years old in January. He laughed at Max with the antler on his head (Jamieson, I'm jealous you have a plush of Max and the Grinch!). I too will be decorating today and making out Christmas cards to send, since it's snowing outside again. I love this time of year!

Hugs to all of you!

Laura :)

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home