Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Saturday, May 31, 2008

Promotion Guide
Or...where do you network?

I've spent some of my spare time the past couple of weeks (yes, I know, not much of that for us writers, is there?) signing up on free networking communities. Several of these are old hat; you've probably heard of them. But if they're new to you, then listing them here may give you an opportunity to expand your networking opportunities.

For instance, most readers and authors have probably stumbled across Shelfari by now. I've had a presence there for a while, but only recently added a host of books to my shelf and actually participated in any discussions. A friend sent me an invitation to join LinkedIn about a year ago. After staring at it then, I promptly forgot about my plan to "join up when I get a chance." A year later, another author invited me and I figured I better do it or I'd forget again...

One fabulous venue I've been affiliated with for a year now is Author Island. I know you've heard me ramble about all-day online chats there and contests that I host through the island, but I want you to understand that the island is geared toward introducing readers to new books (and new authors). The administrator, DeNita Tuttle, charges fees based on what services you'd like to take advantage of, and I like to take advantage of them ALL. Believe me, when you're as busy with life as I am, it's just NICE to have someone handing out promotional materials for you via their Web site. And when that Web site is getting in excess of 14,000 hits per day and has more than 2,000 people requesting its online newsletter, well...that's better than this blog.

The point of building this presence around the Internet is not just to promote Choices Meant for Gods, but to have the name Sandy Lender affiliated with fantasy and the entire Choices trilogy. Choices Meant for Kings may be held up by production schedule nightmares, but, one of these days, it'll hit the streets (and cybershelves). When it does, I'd like to already be on the map. You can have the same foothold for your current and upcoming masterpieces.

So here are a list of places that I've found easy to work with and free. If you're interested in joining, look me up for an instant "friend" to connect with. I'd be happy to link.

www.blogflux.com
www.gather.com
www.shelfari.com
www.goodreads.com
www.nothingbinding.com
www.redroom.com (if you tell them on the form that Sandy Lender sent you, we get entered in a contest during the month of June - fabulous!)
www.authorisland.com or e-mail DeNita for info at authorisland at yahoo dot com
www.linkedin.com
http://twitter.com/SandyLender
http://www.booktour.com/

Of course there are more, but this should keep you busy for a Saturday...
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."
Tags: , , , , , ,

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home