Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Writing Exercise
Or...The Dragon is thankful for mushy food

I don't care how cliche it is, I want to encourage folks who visit the site this weekend to write down what they're thankful for. I'm posting this on Thanksgiving Day--the most appropriate day of the year for Americans to express such things. So here I go.

This year, I'm thankful for a ton of stuff. But at the top of the list, I'm most thankful for mushy food. I've just spent nine days in the hospital because I started vomitting blood (oh, yeah, graphic warning!) one Sunday night. Let me state, for those of you who have never vomitted copious amounts of blood, it's scary, it's ugly, it's painful, and it's horrible. The good news is that if you call 911, an ambulance with big, strong paramedics comes to your home and whisks you off to an emergency room where they give you pain medication to help with the painful part of the equation. They also give you stuff to settle your stomach and keep you from vomitting more. Score two fabulous points for the emergency room crew. What surprised me was the speed with which they decided to admit me to the hospital.

Thus began the nine-day stay without Internet access. The first couple days, I could have no food or water. Eegads! Luckily, I had no desire for food or water. The pain medicine was my main focus...

Diagnosis: esaphogeal tear.
Yes, radiate me for two weeks and my throat falls apart. Dangit.
Those of you who know me can guess just what it's going to be like for a doctor to try to get me back on the metal slab for another radiation treatment. Not happenin', Jack. I already hated it. Now I have a big-fat-real reason to hate it. A lot. :)

I'm supposed to be expressing my thanks. I am thankful to be back home. I am thankful to have my dad here to help out for a few days while I get used to medicating myself and...well...walking again. Nine days of bed-to-bathroom-to-bed makes for weaker muscles than you'd think. I am thankful for mushy food because broth is boring after six days.

Just imagine all the other things built into this that I'm thankful for. Doctors, hospitals, paramedics with good senses of humor, pain medication, pill crushers that make taking pain medication possible when you can't swallow pills...

Happy Thanksgiving!
Now it's your turn to share!
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Laura M. Crawford said...

I'm thankful my friend Sandy is home and doing better. I'm thankful she is now able to communicate with the outside world, and that I will see her in April!! I hope you have a great Thanksgiving, mushy food and all!

Laura ;)

12:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Honey!
My best wishes for a speedy recovery, enjoy what mushy food you can - mashed potatoes, turkey gravy, and my personal favorite, cranberry sauce from the can!
I hear pumpkin pie is mushy if you don't eat the crust.

Yum!!I think I'll make a mushy T-day dinner in your honor!
LOL
Kim

8:05 PM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

Laura, Kim,
Thank you for the kind thoughts. I'm on the mend. And, believe it or not, the radiologist convinced me to get back on the metal table to complete my treatments. Arghghgh. Supposedly there is "no way" radiation caused a tear in my esaphogus so some other doctor gets to get to the bottom of that. Hmmm.
In the meantime, I have pain pills that send me into another universe that I must use with caution when trying to write articles about construction...color me conflicted.
:)
Sandy L.
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home