Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

A Memory Challenge for Writers and Readers Today
Or…The Dragon is obsessed with the caterpillars

About a month or so ago, I posted about the plethora of white moths doing their tantric sex marathons around my front door (complete with erotic photos of moth sex—oooooh). Now I notice there are a bunch of fuzzy white caterpillars meandering around the deck. Could they have hatched and grown that quickly? Someone better versed than I in moth-caterpillar biology will have to weigh in on this discussion. My strong suit is the reptiles, you know.

Anyway, the sad sight of a convulsing caterpillar in what I assume was its death throes this morning got me to thinking of a poem I read as a child. I had a big blue hardcover book called 101 Animal Stories, and one of the stories was a poem titled “The Caterpillar’s Song.” I’ve been trying all morning to remember the poem. Here’s what I’ve got so far:

I twist, I turn, I coil and wind
And sometimes find
I’ve tied a knot
Toodle-oo
All day through
…some other stuff here…
A twist over here
A twist over there
…some other stuff here…
Toodle-oo
All day through
That’s what I do

Now, I know I’ve butchered the poem, and I apologize to the author for doing so. Can anyone out there fix it? Does anyone remember the whole thing? I’ve looked it up on Google and Ask.com. I’ve posted the question to a couple of the online groups I belong to, but we’re stymied. So, come on, writers and readers! Help us out, before it drives me the rest of the way out of my mind.

(And, for those of you wondering about the convulsing caterpillar on the deck, I scooped him up after the photo above and put him in one of my plants. He will either snap out of it and start eating or…well…become fuzzy soil. Very sad.)

“Some days, I just want the dragon to win.”
Tags: , , ,

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Must be too old to remember that poem - but then again, creepy crawlers have never been my thing!

Jane Kennedy Sutton
http://janekennedysutton.blogspot.com/

8:03 PM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

Jane,
I've always been a strange child that way. I remember this tree outside an apartment building where I lived as a seven- or eight-year-old being LOADED with inchworms. Loaded, I tell you. They were hanging from their little silk strings, crawling along the branches, munching on the leaves, etc. So I collected as many as I could and put them in my red wagon. Of course they crawled out, but there were so many that I just kept dropping more in. There were TONS of little green hairless inchworms. Adorable.
Poor worms were probably totally disoriented by the whole wagon-ride thing...
:)
Sandy Lender
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

10:45 AM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

And my friend Tanja sends us this caterpillar poem from Author Richard Miles (at least I think this one is from Richard Miles):

Caterpillar

Fuzzy caterpillar
with your million-jillion feet,
how do you know which foot should go
as you’re walking on that leaf?

You make it look so easy,
right, left, right, the way you do.
Sometimes MY feet get tangled up
... and I have only TWO.

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home