Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Another Inspiring Thought for Writers
Or…Something besides the quotes from yesterday

Other than quotations, just mere settings and images can be inspiring. I bring this topic up for a variety of reasons. One, not everyone has the ability to hop in a car (or on a plane) and travel to some scenic venue like Niagara Falls and watch a fascinating vista until the muse starts scratching his or her nails against the chalkboard of inspiration. Some people have limited mobility, limited income, limited time, etc. So we writers take inspiration where we can. Two, we writers need to support one another in our writing habit. Three, I realize that just reading some nice quotes from famous (or anonymous) people doesn’t trip every writer’s trigger. Four, I find motivation and inspiration to write in almost every subject around me.

I typically have no problem with inspiration because I have Duran Duran’s entire catalog at my fingertips and a host of pictures of John Taylor on my computer. For those of you not obsessed to the point of psychosis with this band (or this fabulous man), you might need something else to get your creative juices stirring.

It will surprise no one who knows me that the So Red the Rose album inspired the Choices Meant for Gods trilogy. I can put that album on repeat in the CD player, light the candles scattered about my writing den, turn on the floor lamp and turn off the overhead lighting, and write for ten or eleven hours into the wee hours of the morning. Of course I listened to many more artists and many more albums during the composition and editing of the first two books, but that was the main one. I think it shows in the moodiness of the text. (And I like that. It works.)

What does it for you? Is it photographs of loved ones? Is it a freshly cleaned, dusted, vacuumed writing space in your apartment/home? Is it a sunny window with a watered and well-tended daisy on the sill? Maybe you’re a music aficionado and you must have Vivaldi streaming in the background while you type. Or maybe you must write the old-fashioned way—with pencil and paper (I have to resort to this practice in the car during rush hour).

So share! Some of your inspiring or motivating practices may help another writer get started in his or her good habit.

“Some days, I just want the dragon to win.”

Tags: , , ,

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger M. B. Weston said...

For me: coffee, specifically a grande iced latte in the summer and a grande latte in the winter. Also, I've found that the Pirates of the Caribbean sound track and the Narnia sound track are great for action adventure pieces. However, I also find that my right brain does not like creating things while listening to music--even classical, so I have to write in the peace and quiet of my office. Oh, yea. And time to write without worring about computers crashing, cleaning, and accounting would be a great muse! (And my book being actually published instead of sitting around in editing might help the creative juices start flowing, too.)

11:57 PM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

Michelle,
I've heard this from a variety of famous sources: artists are at their most creative when they're in pain. So take that angst of the interminable wait and use it use it use it, Bebe! I know I am.

Well, okay, let's be honest, I'm using a lot of other angst-factors these days, but the interminable wait is one of them. ;)

It's gonna happen!
(And I totally agree on the Pirates soundtrack! The Tiesto remix absolutely rocks...I could put that on endless repeat for a couple of hours and not realize it's replayed until I come out of the writing daze...)

Sandy L.
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home