Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Word of the Day
Saturday, April 28, 2007
Emulate (transitive verb) – To strive to equal something or someone; to try to excel someone’s example, especially through imitation (There is also a meaning that’s less pious or “good”: to compete with someone or rival successfully. I prefer the first that I’ve offered because it feels better to wish to emulate someone by striving to mimic and learn from their goodness rather than trying to “one-up” someone.)

I’ve chosen this word today because I want visitors to The Dragon to stop and think about good, positive, mentor-like people who have influenced them. There are many people that I wish to emulate. Maya Angelou, Margaret Thatcher, Charlotte Bronte, Scott Rolen, etc. (Those would be the famous people.) And there are people I know in my life who have shown me positive, Christian teaching, whether they realize it or not, that I would like to emulate. When I’m faced with a difficult decision or a career crisis or a moment of “should I kill my husband or merely let this trespass go?”, I think of one or more of these people and the way one or more of them would either handle the situation or react to my professional/emotional handling of the situation. It’s good to have people like that roaming about the halls of one’s brain. In deference to how embarrassed each might be at being named on a public forum, I’ll use first names only: Lavinia, Jim, John (no, not the bass player), Judy, the other Judy, Mike, Blake, Roy, Karen…I know there are more that just aren’t popping into my head right now, which is odd. And I know my niece McKenna is going to be one of those I wish to emulate as she grows up into a bright and kind young lady. So to you folks, both famous and regular heroes and heroines, thank you for being such positive influences for me to watch. I hope I’m learning from you.

Word in a Sentence: In Sandy Lender’s novel Choices Meant for Gods, Chariss wishes to emulate her guardian and mentor, Hrazon, so she can be a kind and compassionate teacher for the pupils put in her charge.

Your turn! What positive and heartwarming sentences do you all have to share at The Dragon today?

“Some days, I just want the dragon to win.”

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

I'd like to emulate your wordsmith abilities to be able to come up with all these many and very varied "word-of-the-day" selections. Keeps my vocabulary moving along and the wheels in the old pea brain start to turn a bit (ok, somedays really sluggishly though) to come up with a sentence to use the designated word of the day.

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home