Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Thursday, December 13, 2007
Word of the Day
Indifferent
(adjective) — insignificant; not mattering; having no real feeling one way or another; mediocre; a lack of partiality; apathetic

Word in an Excerpt from My Novel (because we want context):
"Nigel tells me you're transporting supplies for Drake."
Henry nodded and puffed on a woodsy smelling pipe. "Yes. Did he also tell you his little belle agrees he should captain a third ship I'm buying for the job?"
Hrazon was surprised and wondered what she could have been thinking.
"No, he didn't share that part," Master Rothahn continued. "Henry, do you know who I am?"
"I've got an inkling, Sir. Should I assume the stories about Misses Taiman are true, and I sit in the presence of a god?"
"You sound indifferent to the situation."
"I'm not sure that I like the idea of conversing with The Master Rothahn Himself. I've not had an especially moral life, if you know what I mean."
Nigel laughed to himself.
"Luckily for you, Henry, I'm not here to judge you…tonight," The Master said. "I'm here to protect my daughter, and whatever else needs protecting here. One of the things we're guarding against is Drake."
– page 174 of the fantasy novel Choices Meant for Gods

Your turn! Now, you don't have to write a whole excerpt, but use the comment field to give us your creative example of "indifferent" because we're NOT apathetic and we want to read what you come up with.

"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

Tags: , ,

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Caffey said...

Sometimes my English is not the best since my form of communicating is more of signing (sign language) so hope I get that part right!

"Its indifferent to me what publisher prints the book. I just want to read the story!"

Cathie (I flew over here from Author's Island and glad I did! Nice meeting you through here. Off to read even more!)

1:17 AM  
Blogger Estella said...

I came from Author Island to tell you that most people are indifferent to the world around them.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't think most people are indifferent to what goes on around them. I think that they are afraid of getting involved.

FYI: I got to this page from AuthorIsland.

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home