Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Lionel Richie Rocked Terex's House
Or...The Dragon did this fun thing while in Vegas

Yesterday, I promised I'd tell you of some of the fun stuff I did in Vegas. It wasn't all work, you know. The trade show closed each evening and the attendees were kicked out. Those of us in the press, though, were invited to various booths to continue working, but the "events" were usually geared toward retaining our attention, if you know what I mean. (read: they weren't supposed to be boring)

An equipment company called Terex rented a ballroom at The Mirage, hired a cover band, set up four large open bars (there could have been more, if you catch my drift), set up several food stations, hired some dancers, bought a ton of silly hats and plastic bling for guests to wear...

Oh, yeah...they also booked Lionel Richie to play for us. It was fabulous. He played Brick House. I boogied like a freak. It was as if I'd been transported back to age 12.

I have to hand it to Lionel; the guy played to the audience very very well. I mean, he's in a room full of construction workers (and some of their wives), so not a lot of them are wanting to hear Three Times a Lady, Truly and Ballerina Girl, but these are really big hits for him. So he played those, but he played abbreviated versions of them in a medley that the ladies went nuts for and the men tolerated very nicely. I was impressed. And he jazzed up Dancin' on the Ceiling and really played up the Commodore tunes that the audience was begging to hear. It was a great performance. When he got to Brick House toward the end of the set, that crowd was in a frenzy.

Lionel Richie, I tip my hardhat to you.

I'm still drafting an appropriately professional-sounding thank-you note to Ronald... ;)

Tomorrow: I'll describe in great detail the Barry Manilow concert! Yow!!

"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."
Tags: , ,

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Laura M. Crawford said...

Sandy!! Did he sing "Hello"??? I Love that song!! Gives me goosebumps and makes me tear up when I hear it! You Rock Girl!

I can't wait to hear about the concert with the one and only Barry Manilow! *sigh* I will check in when I get back!

Toodles! :)

Laura :)

12:15 AM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

He sang Hello! There were a ton of songs he sang that took me back to childhood, I'll tell ya. He kept everyone entertained. Even when someone would hand him up one of the silly hats (these things were like tiger-stripe fuzzy pimp hats, right?), he'd look at it like "you've got to be kidding" and put it on to pose for the cameras...a real trooper. He seemed to be having a great time with us. He kept it a real party atmosphere and not just a plain ol' concert.

I was totally impressed.

Sandy L.
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

9:03 AM  
Blogger AuthorIsland.com said...

Sandy - he's one of my favs - Hello is me and my hubby's song! I hear that and get whisked away to us making out on the couch while my parents were sleeping and dancing our first dance at our wedding to it. Oh, my long ago to the time of big hair and thin ties... LOL.

How fun!
DeNita

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home