Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Thursday, September 03, 2009

Context 22 was a Blast
Or...The Dragon highly recommends Context 23 in 2010

An intimate crowd of intelligent, sophisticated sci-fi, fantasy and horror booklovers met at the Doubletree Worthington hotel in Columbus, Ohio, last weekend for a mix of scientific, literary and educational panels and workshops. Of course we sampled the usual con fare of high-calorie yummies in the con suite and take-me-back sci-fi movies and shows in the film suite and I-spent-too-much-money in the dealer room and security's-at-the-door at the Apex party, but, for me, the panels and workshops were the draw. I thoroughly enjoyed serving on them and listening in on the ones I wasn't a part of. I was particularly impressed with the idea of having public interviews of the guests of honor. Pictured in this post, Author Geoffrey Girard (at right) interviews Editor Guest of Honor Jason Sizemore, who founded the Apex empire, in a relaxed, informal setting where audience members were able to toss in a question or two as it related to the topic at hand.

I'm sorry that I didn't snap a photo of the main guest of honor, James Hogan, or Author Catherine Asaro. I don't think I want people comparing me to her anymore, though...I couldn't avoid her "concert" because I was in a panel discussion in the room right next door. No one should ever allow me to do karaoke in public as if it's a good marketing ploy. Can I get promises out of friends, please? Shoot. Me. First.

I received some excellent advice from Juno Editor Paula Guran to help me kick start my revisions of Book III of the Choices trilogy. My floundering can stop. And I exchanged books with Author Stephen Zimmer so we can read in our spare time. His novel The Exodus Gate looks terribly intriguing to me, but I was out of money, so I suggested a trade. Luckily, he was up for it. Thanks, Stephen! I also attended a reading with Linda Robertson, who reminded me greatly of my Duranie sistah Robyn. She tickled my funny bone with a chapter from her first novel Vicious Circle. I sat in on the panel "Writing Vampires" where she and Rosemary Laurey, Denise Verrico and Tim Mulcahy educated us.

In this post, you'll see a picture of me with Author Rosemary Laurey (middle) and Holly McClure (at right) from the "Mining Gems in Writing" panel on Saturday morning. A couple other folks were supposed to join us but the morning must have been too early. I also moderated the panel on "Writing Fantasy" with the very capable and well-spoken Cinda Williams Chima, Scott Sandridge and Tim Mulcahy. Scott and I joined Holly McClure to speak about "What's a Monster?" Rosemary and I were the only two that showed up for our panel on "Fairy Tales" but the audience participated with us wonderfully. Scott, Stephen and I turned the panel on "Since When Can I Understand the Troll Speaking?" into a roundtable discussion with the small audience that turned out Sunday morning and it ended up a great success.

I managed to sell a few copies of Choices Meant for Gods and What Choices We Made while at the convention. I handed out a ton of information on Choices Meant for Kings. I debuted my new stand-up display banner during the two-hour mass autograph session, which was a great hit. Quite a successful event on Saturday afternoon. I think the folks who organize Context have got themselves a winner. And now that they've moved to an open, airy, bright hotel with a friendly, accommodating staff, nothing can stop them. I served at Context 20 two years ago and found that hotel stuffy and the staff surly. This year the Doubletree Worthington was a breath of fresh air. Even the person driving the shuttle back to the airport was a friendly, engaging gentleman who could talk intelligently about the city and its cultural events.

Overall, Context 22 was a fabulous experience. Kudos to the staff! Kudos to the guests of honor! I look forward to coming back next year!

"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger sgzimmer said...

Very nice roundup of ConText. I enjoyed meeting you and have already dived into your book...Julette is something else!

(by the way, I call Jason's company the Apex Empire too! haha)

10:22 AM  
Blogger Laura M. Crawford said...

Sandy, I'm so jealous! (what else is new, right?)LOL! It sounds like you had fun, even on a budget. I hope this brings you so many sales you hit the NY Times Bestseller list!

Hugs,

Laura ;)

10:41 AM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

Stephen,
I could think of no other way to describe what Jason's built. :)

I'm glad you've found a character to fixate on in the novel! Julette only gets "eviller" as the story progresses. I hate her now. She made me cry while writing Book II. Wench.

Sandy Lender
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

2:39 PM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

Laura,
It's a goal, Baby!
Sandy Lender
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home