Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Bald-face Liar Award
Or...The Dragon is asked to display those creative writing talents

The lovely and snarky Rowena Cherry nominated me for the Bald-faced Liar (or Creative Writer) Blogger Award. The rules are that I tell either six lies and one truth OR I tell six truths and one lie about myself. You get to figure out which I’ve done…and which statement is a lie OR which full, complete statement is a truth. Leave a cute little comment to tell me what you’ve decided!

I nominate the following bloggers for this high-society award:
Jamieson Wolf’s Jamieson Wolf Blog
Jane Kennedy Sutton's Jane's Ride
Penny Ehrenkranz's One Writer's Journey
Sarah Handleman
Jo Linsdell's Writers and Authors Blogspot
Laura Crawford Greetings from the Polebarn
Judy Dorsman's Kids and Dogs

And here are my statements:
1. While vacationing in the Florida Keys several years ago, I swam with a pod of adorable dolphins where two crowded in for the chance to kiss my cheek.

2. When I first started taking anti-seizure medications to control migraine frequency and severity, various items like cars would randomly disappear from my field of vision.

3. A couple summers ago, I joined a group of sea turtle volunteers to seek out disoriented sea turtles, ultimately finding one climbing up a curb to a basketball court.

4. While in the hospital at age 38 for a hole in my esophagus during radiation treatments for tumors, inattentive nurses allowed blood clots to form around an I.V. they left in my arm for too many days.

5. A father of teens in the Midwest reported having nightmares that one of the characters from my novels was chasing him with “evil” intent.

6. Literary agents have been indispensable in my publishing success, helping me get my first contract and assisting in submitting stories/manuscripts for subsequent contracts.

7. The first convention at which I spoke in front of an audience had nothing to do with fantasy or creative writing, but was an asphalt paving conference and expo.


So what do you think? Let me know!
“Some days, you just want the dragon to win.”
Tags: , ,

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger M Pax said...

I love #5. :)

4:13 PM  
Blogger RowenaBCherry said...

I think, you tell the truth ( and what fascinating stories must be behind those insights) and one fib.

I don't believe the Midwest father reported being chased by one of your characters.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Robert Collins said...

Yeah, I think #5 is bogus. Plausible, but bogus; not enough Midwesterners read SF/F from non-NY publishers to get paranoid about characters in said books.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Thanks for the nomination. I'm not very good at this game, but I'm guessing you told six truths and one lie and that number 6 is the lie.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Alica said...

The migraine med sounds like Topamax. I have dreamed about characters in books I have read. I'm going against the majority and am going to say the statement about the dolphin kissing your cheek is the untruth. I don't think one of those darling mammals would actually come that close to you, no matter how fetching you were in your suit.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

M Pax, I like #1 and 3 the best, but I'm not voting. ;) I was going to make one up about my exploits with Duran Duran, but figured I'd either end up sued or all my duranie sistahs would see right through it. He he.

I figure I'll have to come clean on this by the end of the week, eh? Any more takers out there?

From Sandy Lender
"Some days, you just want the dragon to win."

2:08 PM  
Blogger Penny Lockwood Ehrenkranz said...

Having interviewed you for my own blog, I know most of what you said is true, so I'm going with six truths and one line. Like most others, I think #5 might be the fib. Can't wait to find out.

4:54 PM  
Blogger Chelle Cordero said...

pure guess - I think #2 is false and the rest are true

6:49 PM  
Blogger Deb Hockenberry said...

Sandy,
I think #5 is a lie & the rest are definietly true!
Deb :-)

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sandy, dear, I am laughing with you. ;-)

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My guess is that you were 39 in item #4, not 38. You are a subtle one, that way.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Don said...

I think they are all lies except #4 which is the truth.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

I am subtle...but I am also young and spry.
Bwuahahahahahaha.

From Sandy Lender
"Some days, you just want the dragon to win."

9:00 AM  
Blogger Mysti Holiday said...

All truths, one lie -- I think #6 (the literary agent) is the lie.

:-)

5:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I know which this is! I have fond memories of conversations involving #2 and sleeping! LOL!
So far, #5 is not true, but as you gain fame, it could be 6 truths! Scary!

12:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home