Or...The Dragon admits insanity now
I'll go ahead and tell you this was prompted by listening to Barry Manilow's Greatest Hits of the '80s. If you've read this blog before, you know I'm a wee bit obsessed with the musician. And if you know me, you know that I long for the days when musicians remembered the all-important saxophone solo. Oh, yes. So let's begin.
The Top 10 Things Sandy Misses From the '80s
10. Believe it or not, marching band practice makes the list -- I do believe this is where I not only heard the "no pain, no gain" and "reach down inside and give a little more" phrases, but LEARNED them; I now apply them to my life somewhat daily (jeepers)
9. Leg warmers (I know...I live in Florida...but we've been having cold fronts lately)
8. Having someone else pay all the bills (I was a teen)
7. Ronald Reagan's optimism, sense of humor, leadership, smile, attitude, etc.
6. Playing Nertz on a somewhat regular basis with the gang
5. The gang
4. Duran Duran releasing albums on a somewhat regular basis
3. Playing my violin with actual skill so that it didn't suck and frighten small children
2. Going to grandmothers' houses where there was nothing "deep" or "heavy" expected of you
1. The saxophone solo
See, many bands employed the sax solo (including Duran Duran -- Andy Hamilton, I miss you) and the lovely Barry Manilow has included it in his rendition of George Michael's Careless Whisper on his new album. Oh, man, does it sound good. It certainly takes me back. Now, of course, I have to break out the Wham and George Michael collection and breeze through that over the next week...
But the point is, those are the pieces that I used to write to. The early incarnations of Amanda Chariss and Nigel and Hrazon started their adventures and started telling the story that became the Choices trilogy that ArcheBooks is publishing for me (slowly but surely) back in the '80s when I was listening to those songs that Barry is reminding me of with his new album. It makes me want to work on the prequel this evening. :)
So while I'm typing away, why don't you all weigh in with your memories. Anything you miss from the past? Anything you wish you could have back for a day or two?
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."
Tags: Top 10, Barry Manilow, Duran Duran, '80s, Choices trilogy, memories, leg warmers, saxophone