Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Sunday, February 08, 2009

Top 10 Things I Miss From the '80s
Or...The Dragon admits insanity now

I'll go ahead and tell you this was prompted by listening to Barry Manilow's Greatest Hits of the '80s. If you've read this blog before, you know I'm a wee bit obsessed with the musician. And if you know me, you know that I long for the days when musicians remembered the all-important saxophone solo. Oh, yes. So let's begin.

The Top 10 Things Sandy Misses From the '80s
10. Believe it or not, marching band practice makes the list -- I do believe this is where I not only heard the "no pain, no gain" and "reach down inside and give a little more" phrases, but LEARNED them; I now apply them to my life somewhat daily (jeepers)
9. Leg warmers (I know...I live in Florida...but we've been having cold fronts lately)
8. Having someone else pay all the bills (I was a teen)
7. Ronald Reagan's optimism, sense of humor, leadership, smile, attitude, etc.
6. Playing Nertz on a somewhat regular basis with the gang
5. The gang
4. Duran Duran releasing albums on a somewhat regular basis
3. Playing my violin with actual skill so that it didn't suck and frighten small children
2. Going to grandmothers' houses where there was nothing "deep" or "heavy" expected of you
1. The saxophone solo

See, many bands employed the sax solo (including Duran Duran -- Andy Hamilton, I miss you) and the lovely Barry Manilow has included it in his rendition of George Michael's Careless Whisper on his new album. Oh, man, does it sound good. It certainly takes me back. Now, of course, I have to break out the Wham and George Michael collection and breeze through that over the next week...

But the point is, those are the pieces that I used to write to. The early incarnations of Amanda Chariss and Nigel and Hrazon started their adventures and started telling the story that became the Choices trilogy that ArcheBooks is publishing for me (slowly but surely) back in the '80s when I was listening to those songs that Barry is reminding me of with his new album. It makes me want to work on the prequel this evening. :)

So while I'm typing away, why don't you all weigh in with your memories. Anything you miss from the past? Anything you wish you could have back for a day or two?

"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."
Tags: , , , , , , ,

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

HEY! Where have you been? And more important, HOW have you been?
Dorothy was asking about you in TWL group a couple weeks ago and it hit me then that I hadn't seen any posts from you in awhile.
Hope you're ok.
Peace.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Laura M. Crawford said...

Sandy!! I've missed you! Things from the past I miss: My junior year when everything was wonderful and just before my life was turned upside down. Duran Duran posters on my walls, my Tears for Fears album (QH has it here and we had to listen to "Shout" cranked up, and "Everybody Wants to Rule the World", that was a killer album. Ruffled shirts, baggie jeans, balloon shoes, punk hair, The Cure, oh, the list could go on. I ran the gamut of the 80's from Flock of Seagulls to Stray Cats (Brian Setzer is still hot), but then I found DuranDuran and the world stopped for me when I discovered John Taylor. Sigh. I also wish for days with no bills, and the only stress I had was my term paper due. Sniff. We don't appreciate the times when we are in them. We are in such a hurry to be a grown up. Going to bed now, Alex is leaving at 7am for the ship. Keep in touch! Please!

Laura ;)

12:13 AM  
Blogger Asylumgirl said...

I used to play sax in the marching band. Glad to see some love for it. LOL

Deidre

11:47 AM  
Blogger Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Swatches - where did they go!?!
Missed you. Glad to see you blogging again.

Jane Kennedy Sutton
http://janekennedysutton.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/janesutton

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember that....actually, I can pull out the letters from junior high/high school that you mailed with each story chapter, and you'd be writing, "I am listing to (fill in song) right now as I write this!"

I am hanging on to those letters, y'know. Waiting for the movie deals on the books, then sell the original drafts of the trilogy for millions. *grin*

Shannon

10:08 AM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

The National Nertz Association.

Who would have guessed.

I love it.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

Jeni, Laura, Jane,
Good to see you ladies here. I'm doin' just fine. Checkin' on my heart, but doin' fine otherwise. Now, Laura, don't go underestimating the stress of the term paper, my dear. Eegads. I had a friend in college (his wife posts here from time to time) who just could NOT write papers in college. Too much stress. It boggled my mind because writing is my bag, but watching him try to write something one day put it in perspective. I understood after that.

Oh. Story. Check Nigel's blog for a term paper story! http://sandylender.blogspot.com

:)

Sandy Lender
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

11:39 AM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

Shannon,
You and your pets have won a weekend trip away from your combustible apartment...
***insert maniacal laugh here***
Sandy Lender
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

11:41 AM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

Deidre,
You played the sax!?
That gives you more cool points!
;)

Sandy L.
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

11:42 AM  
Blogger Mags said...

Gosh, Sandy - what don't I miss from the 80s? The innocence of my youth for one. Those fab John Hughes movies that I still watch as often as I can (now on DVD). The art of letter writing because that was the only way we could affordably keep in touch. Record players. Being able to just go to a friend's without making a "date". And yes, I too loved Barry once upon a time ago - saw him in concert with a friend's family when I was in Junior High.

Ah, the good old days! I remember them fondly.

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss running home to watch my favorite after-school cartoon: Robotech. I miss being able to draw more.
How have you been?

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home