Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, September 04, 2009

If the Computer's a-Rockin'...
Or...The Dragon is going off-line for the weekend

I figured out how to complete a 90,000-word manuscript for the 3-Day Novel Contest.
We start with 72 hours minus 3 hours for sea turtle duty Saturday morning minus 8 hours for sleep breaks, peeing and eating/drinking/a quick shower to refresh myself sometime Sunday night or Monday morning minus 5 hours to read and edit the completed manuscript = 56 hours for typing/creating. (Yes, I have the outline they allow you to start with.)
This means I need to type at 26.7857 words per minute.
I can do that.
I'm a seriously fast typist.

I've got the room set up. The iTunes is loaded. The motivating CDs are next to the CD player with extra batteries next to it (the obnoxious package is already open so I won't waste time with that if the batteries in the CD player should die mid-weekend). I have reference books picked out and set up. I have an alarm clock with a "nap" function set up and wake times already programmed. I have a bowl with some chocolates and Little Debbie Snack Cakes next to the writing area with paper towels. I have hot dogs and carrot sticks in the fridge. There's a straight shot from the computer to the bathroom. Washcloths are already next to the sink. Criminy...this has to work.

See ya'll Tuesday!
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."
Tags: , ,

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Mags said...

So you survived I see. How did it go?

5:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi :)
WOW.
I will check back in to see how the 3 day novel went.
:)
Are you on Twitter?
I couldn't find you on any searches.
All the best,
twitter: @RKCharron
xoxo

2:40 AM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

Mags,
It was a rush. One minute, I'd be so exhausted I'd be falling asleep with my fingers on the keyboard. The next minute, I'd have a new direction for a scene so my brain would be firing words at my fingers to type...
It definitely stretched me.
Sandy Lender
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

9:23 PM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

RKCharron,
Good to see you here! Hope you're enjoying the online tour. I'm on twitter at
http://twitter.com/sandylender

Sandy Lender
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home