Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, January 12, 2007

A Meme That Makes You Think
This viral message gets philosophical

A friend of mine at http://oldavonladysorders.blogspot.com/ tagged me to receive and pass along the following meme. (It’s not “Word of the Day” time, but I’ll define meme for you because I went to a great deal of trouble to make sure I knew just what this was: noun – a nugget of information or theme for a conversation; in the blogging world, a meme is a viral message that people seem not to mind receiving as it gives them something to blog about and drive some traffic to their site – I fall into that category.)

The meme I’ve received has been referred to as “the thinking meme” by its progenitors, and I find that I’m not so thankful that it’s the one I get to try my hand at. Wah. Look at this thing. Eleven questions of questionable “positivism”, and you know how I harp on positivism around here! So let’s give it a shot.

1. If you had to choose one vice in exclusion of all others what would it be?
I’d like to take on the vice of gratuitous intimate liaisons with a specific rock star. But something tells me maybe this question is asking what current vice I want to give up. Because gratuitous intimate liaisons with rock stars don’t happen in my life (often), I’m going to have to go with “cursing”.

2. If you could change one specific thing about the world, what would it be?
No more commercial fishing! Blasted shrimpers… Save the sea turtles!

3. Name the cartoon character you identify with the most.
I guess Marvin the Martian has my anger management issues, but I really have to applaud Pepe le Pew’s attitude. (Do the muppets count? ’Coz Animal and I are cut from the same cloth… And did I just butcher Pepe’s name?)

4. If you could live one day in your life over again which one would it be?
There have been pieces of days that have been fabulous (i.e.: Dec. 18, 2005; Dec. 15, 2006) for the specific-rock-star-related reasons, but a day that I’d like to relive involves Nassau and the crystal-clear waters of the vacation spot and a really great drink at a bar where my friend Bianca and I sat after this fabulous powerboat ride. I could live that day over and over and over…especially if it ended with a Duran Duran concert this time. There’s a picture of Bianca and me in the water with these sting rays, and we look euphoric. We look pretty content at the bar, too. And laying on these chaise lounge chairs on the beach… Yes, it was a good day.

5. If you could go back in history and spend a day with one person who would it be?
In this order:
My Savior
Charlotte Bronte
The guy who wrote down Beowulf

6. What is the one thing you lost, sold, or threw away that you wish you could have back?
No regrets

7. What is your one most important contribution to this world?
The Choices and Blood and Vine trilogies (but do they count if they haven’t “happened” yet?)
I think the most important contribution(s) I made was/were the eight years of leading Vacation Bible School at the church back home. You never know but one of those kids might have caught the right “stuff” out of all that and it’ll keep him or her on the right track later on when he or she needs the right track most.

8. What is your one hidden talent that nearly no one knows about?
I can write fantasy novels like Choices Meant for Gods.

9. What is your most cherished possession?
Is my bird a possession (or am I his)? If the house was burning down and I could only save one item, it would be Petri, my bird.

10. What one person influenced your life the most when growing up?
My great grandmother! She’s the one Choices Meant for Gods is being dedicated to when it comes out next month because she’s the one who encouraged me to write. She’s the one who read my silly little stories when I was a child and shared them with the people in her apartment building.

11. What one word describes you better than any other?
Oof…depends on who you ask. In social circles: Crazy. In work: Professional. How bizarre is that? But I guess that’s the Gemini in me!

I tag the following five people to participate next!
Jeff “Ski”
http://consultski.blogspot.com
NathFanJT
http://johnnath.skyblog.com
Tina
http://achancetosayyes.blogspot.com
Dwight
http://gkupsidedown.blogspot.com
Michelle
www.elysianchronicles.com

"Some days, you just want the dragon to win."

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Tina Murray said...

Sandy, you want me to answer these questions online? Good heavens.

7:40 AM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

You poor thing. Yep! My friend Jeni did it to me! But, as you can see, I didn't get overtly serious with it. These things are deep! But you're answering them on your own blog so, you know...the majority of people who see them will be people you already know, not strangers popping in to judge you, just people who already love you.

Sandy L.
"Some days, you just want the dragon to win."

8:57 AM  
Blogger M. B. Weston said...

What's so funny is that even though we're kind of alike, we're also kind of different. I think it's funny, because I never would have guessed it.

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home