Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Like Sand Carried Away on the Wind
Or…a clean slate at The Dragon

Now here’s a topic for you writers to run with. This concept actually moved me to tears at work yesterday, but it makes a good writing tip: watch for short story ideas everywhere.

A co-worker told of these religious students who “paint” with colored sand for days on end, meticulously creating elaborate, detailed works of art. The pieces can be any subject, but they are all large, stunning creations when the students are done.

And then the sand paintings are destroyed—wiped away by gusts of wind that blow the colored sand away.

My co-worker said it teaches the students a lesson in permanence.

I thought about it for a second before I realized he had, inadvertently, given an allegory for the current state of my life. Everything has been wiped away. All that I thought I was creating, building, making…I’ve been watching the tempest whip around it for eight months and the sand is almost gone. Now, I can hold a pity party and bemoan what has been lost, what isn’t permanent. Or I can straighten my back and look at the clean slate before me. Yes, for a couple of minutes after my co-worker told the story of these monk-like students with their colored sand carrying their days of effort and creativity away on the wind like tiny diamonds in the sun, I saw my own life and the things that aren’t permanent in it after all, and I felt pretty sorry for myself. And I got over that pretty quickly.

Having that clean slate before me is like having a blank piece of paper in a new notebook. And, to us writers, that’s the greatest way to start something new.

“Some days, I just want the dragon to win.”

Tags: , ,

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

I sit down usually every day with a blank slate in front of me and struggle to come up with a simple statement for my topic du jour on my blog. Once I figure out a topic, staying on topic then becomes the next major stumbling block.

1:04 PM  
Blogger Laura M. Crawford said...

Wow, Sandy! That was an awesome blog, and so true!! I feel that this year is THE year for me as well and that all of the stuff from the past is just that...The Past! Keep looking forward and remember to keep your shades on!! Laura :)

2:04 AM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

Laura,
I heard yesterday that A. Greenspan said 2007 is going to "suck." I was shocked that he would say anything so irresponsible, and I wonder if the Dow took a hit because of it (I didn't watch the news last night). I like your attitude better than his. So what if a bunch of investors get fidgety? I'm losing my house anyway. Blah. I still have Choices Meant for Gods, which is my life's dream, about to hit the shelves. I still have a new life about to unfold in front of me as I dump the anchor that's been holding me back emotionally and spiritually and, well, physically. It's going to be a great year.

Now when are you and Q comin' down to visit this part o' Florida, Bebe!? We need to hang out on the beach in the sunshine.

Sandy L.
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home