Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, March 02, 2007

Word of the Day
Friday, March 2, 2007
Obtuse (adjective) – Lacking in the ability to fully comprehend; slow to discern; not astute (this word has other meanings relating to bluntness and lacking intensity, but I like the implication of “missing the point” in the definition we’re working with today) (from Latin obtundere)

Word in a Sentence: In my novel Choices Meant for Gods, the obtuse Amanda Chariss goes about her training not noticing all the advances Nigel Taiman makes to try to woo her.

Your turn! (And those of you who know me and what I’m dealing with these days should be ever-so-proud of me for resisting the urge to blast a certain someone with this word today.) So use “obtuse” in a sentence and see what you can come up with!

“Some days, you just want the dragon to win.”

Tags: Choices Meant for Gods, Sandy Lender, grammar, word

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

There are times when I am deliberately obtuse and choose to ignore some things going on or being said around me and then, I make an astute comment to those involved, which would usually be one of my kids. That part of being obtuse is one I don't mind.

But, there are times when I am obtuse and don't realize it, and things just don't fit right into their proper thinking slots on those occasions and I really hate when that happens. Don't you?

12:56 PM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

I refer to that as "Sandy's mental density". I have a pretty high tolerance for stressful situations (and you have to in a deadline-rich career, right?), but with the bizarre and insane crap in my life these days, the mental density has been in direct proportion to the level of bizarre and insane crap.

I'm looking forward to the cessation of obtusity! (No, I don't think that's a word, but I like the ring of it.) Insert cheesy grin here...

Sandy L.
"Some days, I just want the dragon to calm down."

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home