Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Word of the Day
Wednesday, March 21, 2007
Degrade (transitive verb) – To cut down in rank or status; to reduce in grade; to deprive of dignity or office; to debase; to lower in intellectual character – like my new job, for which I am incredibly thankful despite the utter lack of respect I had grown accustomed to during the past 15 years of paying my dues in the publishing world…sigh… (from Middle English degraden)

Word in a Sentence: In my novel Choices Meant for Gods, Nigel comes unglued when Godric, in a fit of rage and stupidity, degrades Amanda Chariss, to whom he should show utmost respect and gratitude.

Your turn! Do you have any interesting sentences to write with today’s word? It’s a pretty easy one to work with…

“Some days, I just want the dragon to win.”

Tags: , , ,

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

As I think back on my life and the various jobs I held over the years, I really only ever had one job I truly loved and which wasn't totally degrading! Wish I could return to 1964 through 1972 and have that job or one like it again.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

I absolutely loved my job at the construction magazine that I've mentioned to you before. That was fabulous. It was one of those jobs that you didn't mind working 12-hour days because the work was fantastic...you just wanted to give it everything you had...

And then some folks bought it and things started to get a little crazy. But I still loved the magazine and the industry and the people. It was as the new folks were selling it to another company that I bolted.

I've kept in touch with some folks in the industry, though, and, boy, I sure do miss those folks some days. The good thing is we can always look at what's coming up next to see what's going to be exciting in it. Look at the writing careers we're building. that's exciting. And I'm still in magazine publishing, which is exactly where my heart needs to be. So the world is still spinning on its axis so far...
:)
Sandy L.
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home