Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The Write Attitude
Or…keeping it together with no complaints

I read about this Zen master who taught that you should say this particular positive prayer over and over again until you believe it (they probably all teach that and I’m just not well-versed enough with Zen practices to know it). This teacher’s name was Sono, and she taught her pupils to pray “Thank you for everything. I have no complaint whatsoever.”

No matter what was going wrong or right, the prayer was to be the same mantra until it became true. Considering what all has been going on in my life, it’s been an uphill battle to remain positive and upbeat, but a mantra like that one would certainly help. I know how uplifting it can be to greet challenges and crap with something affirming or humorous because I do it as often as I can. (Of course I fail from time to time; I’m human and some of the crap is too bizarre for words.) But I’ve adopted this prayer for a few reasons that I’m going to share with all you writers visiting the site today in hopes that they resonate with some of you.

First, all the crap that is too bizarre for words isn’t going to beat me. Period. So why dwell on it?

Second, saying thank-you to God for all the non-crap (all the blessings) is the better thing to do in life. (And those of you who pray to a goddess or who believe in some other earth spirit that guides and keeps you, the same principle applies…being thankful for the positives and the goodness is healthier than bemoaning the negatives and the badness.)

Third, complaining tends to work like a magnet. Have you noticed that it gives people around you permission to air their complaints? Then you have your friends feeling bad. Pretty soon, you have a pity party in your living room (or at the corner bar). I don’t know about you other writers, but that doesn’t make for good writing energy in my world. My characters get a little depressed when I’m contemplating all the crap that’s too bizarre for words in not only my life, but my friends’ lives as well. So turning off the complaint feature in my brain is a good thing.

Fourth, being positive tends to work like a magnet. Have you noticed that it gives people free reign to smile around you? And laugh? And share good stories? And sometimes they give you chocolate…

So, to all ya’ll writer types, I’m adopting a new mantra while I complete and promote Choices Meant for Gods to see how the mantra works out. I bet it sticks. Thank you for everything. I have no complaint whatsoever.

“Some days, I just want the dragon to win.”

Tags: , , , ,

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Raven Bower said...

Wow that couldn't have come at a better time.

We've had so much going on here that everything is spiraling into chaos and stress is sky-rocketing. Which makes complaining easier...but not the wisest of choices.

Thanks Sandy and good luck!

7:53 AM  
Blogger Jeni said...

Sounds like a darned good mantra to me. Wonder how many decades it will take of saying it, over and over, each day, before it does become "second nature."

9:43 AM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

Raven, Jeni,
There is a lot going on in everyone's lives these days. Seems to be an epidemic in America, doesn't it? So it's nice to have these kinds of reminders just pop up on the radar from time to time to make us chill out. I'm hoping it makes me stop hyperventilating at some point this week...
;)
Sandy L.
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home