Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Writers Can be Cruelly Creative on April Fool's Day
Or...responsible pranksters only

If there's one thing I've learned over the years, it's that writers (or any art-type, for that matter) are imaginative. Oh, can we come up with some good pranks. If you had any idea the mechanisms I have in motion in my house to drive my soon-to-be-ex-spouse insane... (insert whichever emoticon you think is appropriate here) ...but I think the delivery of the swords was the best so far. It at least got the best wide-eyed reaction.

Perhaps that's a separate topic.

On April Fool's Day, it's wise to step back and consider what bizarre pranks we're plotting against our friends, neighbors, family, etc., so we don't offend or harm anyone. Personally, I have nothing planned. (And I'm not answering my phone.) I'm hoping that the members of the St. Louis Cardinals have something fabulous up their collective sleeves for the Mets today. (It's opening day at Busch Stadium!) Other than that, I'm laying low. Yes, you guessed it, I have a lot of playful friends. I don't need the harrassment today.

So what do you writers who are visiting The Dragon today have in mind for your friends? Anything bizarre planned? Changing the hair color in their Clairol package? (Yes, I'm guilty of having participated in that back in college. I was a terrible person at one stage in my life.) Putting peanut butter in their toothpaste tube? (Yes, for us creative types, that is possible.) One year I told a friend that the U.S. government was building a bridge from Hawaii to the main continent and it was going to raise our taxes by some-odd percent. She was horrified. I had to fess up that it was just an April Fool's lie - an outright lie - before she spread the rumor. Believe it or not, she's still my best friend.

Share your best/worst pranks! I'm curious to know how I rate on the "demented creative type" scale...

"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

Tags: , , , , , ,

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeni said...

No April Fool's day pranks from me today - been a long, long time since I indulged in that tomfoolery! But for the seven years I labored at a local truckstop near here, often it seemed like every day was April Fool's as some of those crazy truckers always had a prank up their sleeves and we, the waitresses, usually had our own practical joke brewing too -just a big game of one-up on the other all the time. Wish I could remember ALL the stunts we pulled as it would make great fodder for a book.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

When I did do April Fool's jokes, they were very mild. Since my Papa (my Dad's dad) died on April 1st 13 years ago now, I haven't done anything at all. At the time, that seemed like the biggest, cruelest "joke" someone could pull. My brother always did something, though. Even he doesn't anymore for the same reason.

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home