Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

We Are Borg
Or…what’s your fave sci fi show?

I will admit to nerdish tendencies. I get irritated when I run into paranormal authors or fantasy authors who have no clue what I’m talking about when I start quoting Star Trek or Stargate or Firefly or BSG or Farscape or X-Files or whathaveyou. Heck, I’ve even watched a few episodes of Dead Like Me and chuckled. Now, I will admit that I’m not well-versed in Dr. Who, but I have friends who can fill me in on the parts that I’ve missed. :) How can fantasy or sci fi authors build and then exist in their own worlds if they don’t enjoy spending time in these other worlds? It boggles my mind. I love getting lost in these shows. And I love getting entrenched in the world I created for my Choices trilogy.

My point today is I’m part Borg for 24 hours. I went to the doctor yesterday, and, because my life is not a normal one anymore, this means they (the all-powerful and always-out-there “They”) scheduled additional doctor appointments for me. So today I went in to another clinic to get fitted with this happy little heart monitor harness. Hmm. So I’m considering at what point in the day I down a 2-liter of Jolt cola and run around the apartment complex outside really really fast to skew the results. He he he.

Of course I wouldn’t actually do that. I’m not allowed to have caffeine. But imagine how my heart would react…

Back to the original question. My Borg thoughts put me on this train. What’s your favorite sci fi show? And why? Mine have all been canceled. Well, except for BSG. It’s in its final season, though. Sigh. Stargate is supposed to have a new series starting this summer based on a premise that Samantha Carter could have solved in a two-part episode. Bummer, eh? But we’ll see how it pans out.

My favorite sci fi show is a toss-up between Stargate SG-1 with the yummy Michael Shanks (although you can’t beat that original archeologist, can you?) and Firefly with the yummy Nathan Fillion, who I got to meet at DragonCon last year. That was a good day. My reasons, beyond drooling over the yummy characters, are the humor and the writing. I’m also keen on the good explosions in Stargate SG-1. Always well done. It’s not everyday that your television shows someone blowing up a sun…or a pyramid…or a U.S. starship/battle cruiser. Good stuff.

(Your answers can be as grammatically challenged as mine, if you like. ;) )
“Some days, I just want the dragon to win.”
Tags: , , , , , , span>

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Mags said...

Wow, Sandy, you want me to narrow it down? Well, I was a huge fan of Star Trek: Voyager and Enterprise. I caught up on all the TNG episodes in a matter of a couple years when they all replayed on Spike. Never was a huge fan of the original tho. Loved Dr. Who when I was a kid and still catch it now and again. And I do own all the SW movie series as well.

I enjoy getting away to another place and time whenever I can as they help make real life more palatable sometimes, esp. during my childhood. Thanks for the question, and I hope the monitor works out OK for you! ((HUGS))

8:41 PM  
Blogger Laura M. Crawford said...

ROFLMAO!! BORG! That's what QH had to go to HCMC for a sleep study and was "wired for sound". He was sitting there with wires in his head, all over his body and said, "Look, I'm Borg!" We like to find humor in dark situations. :) Glad to know you are still alive and kicking, pumpkin! :)

Laura

P.S. Bought 2 tickets for paradise...We will be in Florida April 15 to the 27th. ;)

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home