Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Cool Pet Birds
Or...share a short essay on your favorite pet

Okay, Writers! It occurred to me, while watching my pet bird lean against his cozy hut to watch a movie, that we could have a writing exercise about everybody's favorite thing about which to wax poetic...our pets. So click on the comment link below and share a bit about your fave companion!

Petri gets the spotlight at The Dragon today, even though I have a couple other pets that I think are fabulous and great. Petri is a sun conure, which is a type of parrot, but he doesn't talk much. He can say "goodnight" and "hi, Petri" and "thank you." He taught himself to wave "goodbye," which impresses the daylights out of me each time he does it.

About nine years ago, when I went to get a sun conure from a breeder in Kansas City, he selected me before any of his siblings did so he's been my companion ever since. Lovely little bird. Yes, as bird enthusiasts will tell you, suns can screech pretty loudly, but only when I can't figure out what he's asking for. He has a specific squeak that means "bring me a bath" and a specific squeak that means "let me sample what you're eating," etc. You get the idea.

He's pretty great.

"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."
Tags: , , , ,

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Having given up owning anything that needs dusting, watering or feeding I don't have a pet, but I do have a grand dog - a whippet who is a pleasure to watch run and who always seems as happy to see me as my grandson!

Jane Kennedy Sutton
http://janekennedysutton.blogspot.com/

9:02 PM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

Dogs are wonderful, Jane. I had a beagle when I was a little girl. His name was Ernie and he was great! Fabulous doggie. I tried a pair of cute little dachshund puppies who were a handful not long before my move to Florida, but the little girl had separation anxiety (even though she had a brother with her all day long...) and we had a move half way across the continent into an apartment...so...the puppies went to live with a family who had four kids who could play with them all the time. Lucky doggies. BROKE my heart. But I think the doggies probably looked at that situation as a win. :)
Maybe that's why I let Petri walk all over me...
Sandy L.
"Some days, I just want the dragon to win."

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home