Today the Dragon Wins

"Today the Dragon Wins" offers information from Fantasy Author and Professional Editor Sandy Lender. You'll also find dragons, wizards, sorcerers, and other fantasy elements necessary for a fabulous story, if you know where to look...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Misbehaving in Candlelight

Sandy Lender is the editor of an international trade publication and the author of the fantasy novels Choices Meant for Gods and Choices Meant for Kings, available from ArcheBooks Publishing, and the series-supporting chapbook, What Choices We Made.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Thursday, October 11, 2007


Writer's Guide
Or...let adversity inspire the character forming within you

I know I've said this here before, but we creative types are at our absolute best when we're in absolute hell. Guess where I am right now. It's horrible. But I'm using it for my best. And I want to share it with you other writers out there because this is the absolute best time to write...and I have more ideas flowing through me than you can shake a stick at.

Here's a snapshot: A fellow in one of the online groups I belong to is sharing a major financial blow that's been leveled at him. Another fellow has been dealing with losing his grandchildren through an insane and mind-boggling judicial system fiasco. Freelance workers are causing me angst up against multiple deadlines at work. Someone I thought was going to be a pillar of friendship in my life has bowed out - exit stage left. Someone else who vowed to stay with me for better or worse is causing major headaches instead of the kind and gentle "exit stage left" that I would prefer from him. An exciting and uplifting trip I had planned for a few weeks from now has fallen through due to unforeseen circumstances. A variety of financial surprises have hit me in the past 72 hours. The landlord of my new abode isn't taking care of things to make the new abode properly livable, yet I'm trying to live there. A girlfriend who needs more than I can possibly give right now is hurting emotionally and I cannot physically get to her... I'm quite literally stunned by it all. What visitors to the site might find interesting (or horrific) is that I'm not listing everything that's gone wrong this week. (but wait, there's more)

Here's the point: I'm listing all this crapola because I know there are people out there going through worse than this. Good God, I pity you. Seriously. I can't imagine getting out of bed under the weight you're under. It was hard enough for me this morning, wondering what new and horrific surprise I'd find awaiting me when I opened my eyes or walked out into the living area of the apartment... So far, so good. Again, we can use all this pain. At some point, it all has to get better. It all has to improve. So let's take notes now and learn what we can from our reactions to these stressors. Character is forming within us at the moment, and the type of character we form out of this adversity says much about the heart within each of us.

While this character-forming is going on, here's something fabulous to inspire you writers visiting the site today:

"Any change, any loss, does not make us victims. Others can shake you, surprise you, disappoint you, but they can't prevent you from acting, from taking the situation you're presented with and moving on. No matter where you are in life, no matter what your situation, you can always do something. You always have a choice and the choice can be power." -- Blaine Lee

Here's wishing you much power in your writing...

"Some days, I just want the dragon to eat everyone in my path."

Tags: ,

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

Bummer Sandy! Nothing Like being dumped on all at once. Hope things start looking up for you soon. Hang in there!

Jane Kennedy Sutton
Author of The Ride
janekennedysutton@googlepages.com
janekennedysutton@blogspot.com

1:29 PM  
Blogger T. said...

Hello from Author Island!

After reading that blog, I'm sure the last thing on your mind is your contest.

I hope things start to look brighter soon. Good luck!

- Tamara

2:25 PM  
Blogger Laura M. Crawford said...

Sandy, honey, this too shall pass. Honest. I know it seems like you won't get through and see the light, but it's there, and you will come through the other side. Hugs to you, and you have my number. Call me, anytime you need to,ok?

Loveya,

Laura :)

P.S. And yes, through great pain comes great art. Sometimes I wish it wasn't that way, and that we didn't have to go through all this "crapola", as you put it, but then when the good times hit, we appreciate it so much more.

12:50 AM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

JANE!
Hi, Sweetie! Where's that book? You must show up here and tell my visitors when you have your first signing.

Sandy L.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

Tamara,
What contest?

(joking)

I'm saving all these e-mail alerts in one happy folder (Computer, don't fail me now) so I can put them on scraps of paper for the fabulous drawing on Simon's birthday. Woo-hoo! We're gettin' closer and closer and closer...

Sandy L.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Sandy Lender said...

Laura,
We're going to sell everything and buy a yacht together so we can just sail around writing, okay? I think this is the best plan we could hope to come up with.
Deal?
Sandy L.

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home